Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of heads i beleive to be off a 1965 z-16 chevelle. The cast numbers are 3856208,one head has a cast date of F165 i believe this stands for june 16 1965. The other head reads F245 for june 24 1965. are these true dates and if so are they z-16 heads ,i was told they only made z-16's in the first few months of the year and these heads are not off a z-16.I am confused because the cast numbers clearly state z-16 thaks for your help im trying to sell them and this might make a difference thankyou mark smith

·
Registered
39 Posts
They could be off a 425hp Corvette engine.

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
I don't know the exact date (but I bet someone out there can give you almost an exact date) the 396 was introduced. Hodge is right, the 208 heads are the ONLY heads used on 396 vettes in 1965. And ALL 396 vettes were 425hp. There are some documented casting dates on vette 396 engines for Dec 64, so the first 396 vettes probably hit dealer showrooms late Dec/early Jan. I very clearly remember seeing 396 vettes and 396 Impala SS on the streets in Feb 1965. I saw my first 396 Malibu SS at a drag strip in Great Bend, Neb in Apr/May 1965. If I only knew then what I know now!

And while we are on the subject, there were 201 396 Malibus built. Right? For years and years there have been stories that the 1 was a conv that got wrecked and went to a salvage yard. Has there ever been any Chev documentation to prove or disprove this?

------------------

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Chevy by the numbers says this is a the first square port 396 head but this same casting was used for all of them in 1965. So it could be in a Chevelle, Impala, Belaire, Biscayne or Corvette. Suposedly none exist before A 1 65 and a new version 3873858 was released in 1966.

So they fit the bill for Z16 but they probably came from a full size car engine which were more plentifull than the 201 1965 Z16's that were built. There is no way of telling what model they were used on, just that its a 1965 396 head with rectangular ports.

They should still command a good price if there are in good condition and you have a interested buyer, I just think you cannot say they are Z16 exclusive.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 05-24-99).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The Z-16's were built late in the model year. so those cast dates could be correct. Thats about all I know of those cars. I was reading a story just now in the May '94 Performance Musclecars and it says the option code was L-37. The 325 horse was in the Caprice,the 375 horse in the Chevelle and the 425 horse in the Corvette in 1965. The Z-16 engine was a hydraulic lifter engine.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 05-24-99).]

W

·
0 Posts
I remember the Z-16 as a solid lifter cam motor, in fact it is the exact same motor they put in the corvette and called it 425 horse. Some GM politics at work in 65. The motor showed up the next year in the 66, also as 375 horse, solid lifter cam as well.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Wally, According to Jerry Heasley in the article, the engine(Z-16) had hydraulic lifters, although it was assumed to have solids.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
All Z-16 were built beteeen Feb. and April of 1965 The oldest dated head probally a C casting . Remember the eng .were built first in Tonowanda Ny. Maby this answers your question. Richard Fudge

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
All Z-16 were built beteeen Feb. and April of 1965 The oldest dated head probally a C casting . Remember the eng .were built first in Tonowanda Ny. Maby this answers your question. Richard Fudge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.