Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if anyone has asked this question before....

I have a 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS, mostly original except for the engine; which is a 350. I am looking for options for the exhaust system. I see exhaust "kits" for the 327 engine, will these kits fit my 350 car? Can I even use one of these "kits" or will it be a custom job all the way around. Looking for anyone that might have a 350 in their car and have upgraded from the headers back. What headers they used, exhaust system, and mufflers, etc?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Yes, the headers for a 65 Chevelle will fit with all small block engines, 283; 327; 350; 400. Major brand headers such a Hedman, Hooker, etc. will fit fine and the exhaust system will be the same for all the small block engines, too. Best bet is to buy the headers and exhaust system from the same manufacturer for the best fit. You might also check with a local muffler shop as they can probably build the exhaust system and provide the mufflers for the same, or maybe even less than, you would spend for a good exhaust 'kit'.

As far as tube sizes, stay with the smallest primary tube diameter available (and the longest primary tube length) for the headers, 2.0 inch head pipes, good quality turbo-style mufflers and tailpipes that exit behind the rear wheels or extend out to the rear bumper.

I like to use aftermarket gaskets, such as the graphite with steel core, which are available from Mr. Gasket, Fel-pro, Victor-Reinz etc.
Install the gaskets dry (no sealer or other goop) and tighten the header bolts according to instructions.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome

Unless your in a hurry.
Wait and go to a couple of car gatherings and look at what people are running.
Find one that has the fit and ground clearance your after and as them what headers their running.
I personally have had good luck installing Hedman's on a couple of friends cars.
When I had the SBC before converting to a BBC I had some Blackjack's that fit great.( I believe no longer in business)

Another option is shorty or block huggers if your car is real low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts