Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pulling the body off my 65 LeMans soon. Are there any modifications I should make to the frame itself? Boxxing certain areas? Cross braces? I'm going to build this car to handle corners and eventually it'll pack around 500 horses but it'll still be around factory wait. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

· Super Moderator
14,045 Posts
On the simple side, just scrutinize all the welds and grind out and redo the ones that look questionable. The assembly line workers rarely laid down good welds in all places and sometimes didn't lay down as many as should be there. Make sure all the suspension mounting brackets are fully welded at all possible points and done well. This will certainly help your frame survive without issues. Once the frame is clean, look for damage and/or stress and/or cracks. Address these issues! Measure the frame to make sure it is straight, flat and not "racked". Get it straightened at a frame shop if it isn't near perfect. Now is a good time to address the typical front cradle sag issues which are likely present which will help you get good alignments when the car is back together.

If you want to enhance the frame, you can box the long c-channel rails in the middle. There are many places you can add additional bracing, but beware what you add and if it will require body modifications to accommodate them. The most flexible points of the frame are where the frame kicks in and up just behind the front wheels. You might want to consider adding the extra body mount used by convertibles here (the frame already has a mounting hole where you need it). The next weakest point is the upper rear cross member where the upper rear control arms mount. Check all the welds, rivets and such for damage. Add extra welds if it seems poorly done or lacking welds. Adding the suspension braces that tie the lower and upper front control arm mounting points together are the best cheapest fix to strengthen this area.

Depending on how much of a handler you want, carefully consider what suspension mods to add to the frame as they may dictate some mods (or not).

I recommend that if you find any poor welds that they are ground out and redone. If you are not a good welder, hire someone who is to do it! I spent a scant $75 to have my frame rewelded and improved and he did a great deal of work and I was really pleased with the work. I feel very confident that the frame (in my wagon) will be able to take anything I dish out to it. I also had the tubes in my 12-bolt fully welded to the center unit, this is a very good idea if you are running a stock-style rear axle but make darn sure you get someone who really knows what they are doing do such work since if it is done wrong you can end up with a warped rear axle housing! While that work is being done is a good time to check it for straightness too and have it fixed if there are any issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.