Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to determine what dome light configuration is correct for my 65 El Camino. What I have now is a bubba rigged light.

The dome light kits being sold look like picture 1 attached. These clearly use a standard type miniature bulb with bayonet base.

What is being sold as the correct harness (picture 4) looks like it used a bulb like in picture 3. I also found the harness in picture 2, but I'm not sure how it works.

Could someone with a 65 El Camino please post a picture of your dome light with the lens removed? I really don't see how either style of the harnesses I have found will work with the dome light kits being sold.

Thanks,

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I rewired my '65 El Camino last August using an American Autowire kit. Really worked well. However, I kept the original dome light wire from the light to the connector behing the driver's door.
Here's a shot of the dome light without the cover. Yep, it has a bayonet base. Also included is a shot of the dome light wiring accessible just behind the driver's door. Ask more questions if you have them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I have purchased the American Autowire Dash, Engine, and Forward harnesses.

I have pieces of the original dome light harness, including the impossible to find connector to the ribbon cable behind the driver door. (picture 1). Mine has/had a bulb base that looks very similar to what yours does, but mine has been hacked up.

I get an email response from America Autowire and they say the dome light should have an in-line bulb. The vendors that sell the dome light assembly comes with a twist in bayonet based bulb (picture 2).

Yours has the smaller bayonet based bulb which looks like what was in mine. the bulb base in mine did not have the Orange and White wires coming out of the bulb base, but was crimped to it.

Now I'm on the lookout for a better base I guess.

Very confusing!!

Thanks again for your response, it was very helpful.

Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
I have a related tip for you. As long as you are wiring up a new light possibly consider switching the bulb to an LED bulb. I have a 69 and it takes a bulb similar to the second bulb you have pictured and when I had the Incandescent bulb in the dome light it would get very hot. Hot enough to possibly melt the plastic lens. Seeing as yours takes a bayonet type bulb the LED version may get a little brighter than the equivalent incandescent version but will definitely stay much cooler.

Reactions: RAIDER SS

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I have a related tip for you. As long as you are wiring up a new light possibly consider switching the bulb to an LED bulb. I have a 69 and it takes a bulb similar to the second bulb you have pictured and when I had the Incandescent bulb in the dome light it would get very hot. Hot enough to possibly melt the plastic lens. Seeing as yours takes a bayonet type bulb the LED version may get a little brighter than the equivalent incandescent version but will definitely stay much cooler.

I used a LED bulb in my 64 El Camino as well, noticeable improvement in light output and stays cool. If you are not doing a numbers restoration, consider a LED strip under the back window tray and wire it into the dome circuit. I used the thin strip (white lights) stuck to the underside all the way across, it's not noticeable when off and provides great lighting for the behind the seat area when the door is open.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a LED bulb in my 64 El Camino as well, noticeable improvement in light output and stays cool. If you are not doing a numbers restoration, consider a LED strip under the back window tray and wire it into the dome circuit. I used the thin strip (white lights) stuck to the underside all the way across, it's not noticeable when off and provides great lighting for the behind the seat area when the door is open.
Does the 64 used the small bayonet based bulb? The attached picture is the bulb that was in my 66 dome light. So if I can get a LED one, I certainly will.

Thanks,

Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
That looks like a #194 bulb, at least it is the same style. Go to superbrightleds.com. Once you get into bulbs for your specific vehicle they cross match the correct led from the incandescent bulb number.

Reactions: Blown1932

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Original 64-67 elc dome light bezels (which are chrome plated metal) have a metal bulb socket pressed into the bezel, which takes the twist in bulb like shown in your first picture. With the repro plastic bezel, you have to remove the original socket from the old bezel and attach it to the new bezel with that little plastic strip and the two screws. Crappy design! For that reason I cleaned up my original bezel and reused it. A little brillo and they usually clean up nice.

The original bulb socket has two female receptacles on the back, and the original wire harness has corresponding make pins on each wire, like shown in your 4th picture. The wire harness in your second picture is for a coupe or sedan dome light, not elcamino.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Original 64-67 elc dome light bezels (which are chrome plated metal) have a metal bulb socket pressed into the bezel, which takes the twist in bulb like shown in your first picture. With the repro plastic bezel, you have to remove the original socket from the old bezel and attach it to the new bezel with that little plastic strip and the two screws. Crappy design! For that reason I cleaned up my original bezel and reused it. A little brillo and they usually clean up nice.

The original bulb socket has two female receptacles on the back, and the original wire harness has corresponding make pins on each wire, like shown in your 4th picture. The wire harness in your second picture is for a coupe or sedan dome light, not elcamino.

Good luck!
And as far as I have found, no one reproduces the correct socket

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are willing to do a little modification it is available. I got mine here:

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000370a~Z5Z5Z5AABJA~P15.00~~~~S5TH0WZLBG17318555370a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000370a#

You just have to remove that extra bracket piece that is attached. Otherwise it is identical.
Thanks very much. I'll order one.

I should have though of checking C2 corvette parts. I recently restored a 1966 corvette coupe that I sold a couple of years ago, and currently own a 67 corvette convertible.

Thanks again,

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts