Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helle guys/// all my dash lights worked just fine.. Had the dash bezel replaced. When i put the head lamps on the dash lights dont work. When i hit the floor switch to high beams the dash lights come on. Could someone please comment. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,319 Posts
When you changed the bezel, did you remove the grounding straps from the back of the old bezel and attach them to the back of the new bezel? They are just thin strips of sheetmetal which surround the light switch, wiper switch and ignition switch openings from the back and ground to the mounting screws that hold the instrument cluster to the back of the bezel.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Rich probably hit the nail on the head - those tin strips are:
1 - often overlooked
2 - didn't work that well brand new!

My advise would be to run a dedicated 18ga ground wire from one of the instrument cluster screws (1/4" head, on the metal housing) over to the dash support or cowl vent area. This way you know you've got a good ground.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If they come on when you hit the bright mode on your dimmer switch, I would think maybe they got hot wired to the wrong side of that switch. They should probably get hotwired from the dim headlight connection, as that would be hot any time the lights are on. It wouldn't be too hard to jump a hot wire from the light switch to any of the panel lights. That would light them all when the switch is pulled and whatever reason they come on when you hit the brights wouldn't really matter. Checking your ground is always a good thing to do first. I think from the original post the poster had this done, so the panel lights may have been hooked up to to dimmer switch instead of where they should be connected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the info.. I personally did not do the job. I have an electrical guy going in soon to correct the problem.when he takes the bezel out i want to put a factory tach in the middle where the clock goes.the car never had a tach. Called the tachman and he said he can convert a factory tach to work with hei. Will i need a tach wire harness. Dont know which way to go. Shiftworks has a aftermarket tach set up for hei.three wires one ground one 12v fuse ignition and one to the hei. I also would like to find a top of the dash clock for a 65 but they are hard to locate. Thanks mitch probaly should replace the wiper and headlight switch too..

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Ihave the switchworks tach in my elcamino,,fits mint and works mint.also check the ground on the radio side of the dash ,mine would only lite half the dash until i tightend the radio up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts