Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
I believe 64/65s can. There is a set screw in the top, on one end... This keeps the little "tray" with the ball bearings and rollers in place.
Remove the screw, and slide the track to one extreme and the tray can be grabbed with a wire and pulled out. Slide it to the other extreme and the other one can come out.

It's very tricky to reassemble. I've only done it once because one fell apart on me.

There used to be a photo guide in a sticky on the camaros.net site. Not sure if it's still there. These will be similar to what is described there.

66-72 chevelle ones are different because there is a dimple in the steel of the track instead of the screw, so they don't just fall out unless they are broken.

·
Premium Member
12,172 Posts
What are you trying to clean, rust or dirt? I believe there would be an easier way than taking it apart. If dirt then soak it in mineral spirits or another solvent. If rust soak in vinegar. Just blow dry with air and then lube bearings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprayed them with degreaser to free them up. Blew everything to clean all the old gunk out. Lubed them with white grease. Work much better now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts