Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 65 chevelle for my wife for our anniversary in January. I have owned a 69 and a 70 in the past and have always wanted to get a 65. My wife also likes the look of the 65. However, lately I have seen a lot of info on 66 and up models but little on 65s. Am I making a mistake investing time and money in a 65. Should I look more at the 69 my personal favorite or?? By the way, my first chevelle the 69 went to a local stock car driver for a later model Monte Carlo after a rear end accident bent then frame and my 70 went to the local Ford dealer as a trade in on a new car. Both events were mistakes now looking back.
Thanks,

------------------
Barbwyr
http://www.geocities.com/~barbwyr
[email protected]

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 64 & 65's are less talked about because there are fewer of them around. I had no real problem finding parts for the resto on my 64, with the exception of the unique Canadian bits. My favourite is the 68/69 years but I wanted something that you see less of so I got my 64. You'll find a decent 65 and parts are fairly easy to get once you know where. Then you & your bride will have a special ride that stands out in the crowd.

Hope it helps.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I have a small bias (2 65 Chevelles
) but I think they are fun cars. I would offer the following advice:

1. Good sheet metal is hard to find and some of it isn't even reproduced (my primary complaint is the inner rear wheel wells). Find the best body you can - I'm sure you know this, but I believe it's more important on 64/65, so really look good at that body!

2. The 64-67 Chevelles can exchange some parts (more than I would have thought.) For example, I am using 67 hood hinges, fan shroud and rear end on my 65.

Good luck on finding your, errr I mean her
new Chevelle!! Jeff.

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
67 ElCamino - Pics coming soon
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Gotta agree on the matter of 64/65 parts. A good friend has a 65 L-79 Convert. I can't tell you the number of times he has said "I have the money to buy X or Y or Z but I just cannot find it!"

Seems to be that body parts and trim are the hardest to find. Additionally I have heard him lament that some of the insulation / weather strip is not the best fitting stuff. I wonder if that is due to the low volume of sales of the 64/65 parts. His standards are so high they might be in ORBIT I should add.

Mechanical parts are very very easily interchangeable from other years as I am sure you know. That is unless of course you are fixated on numbers match, date coded, original oil in the oil pan sillyness.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey barbwyr,
Do it! The 64/65 are great cars, they are roomy inside and with an up dated power train or just a rebuilt 283, make a great driver. They are a bit less common so people seem to notice them more. These cars have a full perimeter frame so they are strong and some body rust doesn't automatically mean they are junk. Mechanicaly they are very simple , and unless you need a major piece of sheet metal, parts aren't all that bad. Select a good one of the 250 something thousand (152,000 Chevelle Malibus and 101,000 Super Sports)that were made in 65 and you'll have a basic no nonsense car that is easy to work on or modify, and you can drive and enjoy. mgg

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 10-21-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.