Team Chevelle banner

1965 Chevelle convertible project car, 85% complete w/parts?

675 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Jim Mac
Would love opinions here. Bought this 15+ years ago with big hopes and dreams of a turbo 327 and T56.

Life happens. Not going to have time or facilities to have a "project car" for another decade or more. Money not the issue, just priorities in life.

Looking to sell to someone who will build this thing.

Located in Central Texas (Austin), not the north or the coast :)
Super straight body, no Bondo, new rear fenders already professionally replaced & stitched in.

Have one spot on passenger side behind door where it rusted badly when it sat outside the barn a couple years (ugh!). Trunk pan is toast, other floorpans are salvageable (I'm 225lbs I jumped up an down in them). Other than that it's been in covered storage over a decade until brother-in-law kindly moved it OUT of the barn to put his heap in it's place (yes, I'm still bitter). All other rust showing is surface deep, will sand out, unless highlighted in photos.

Includes all the stuff in photos. Original seats, chrome, panels, arm rests, side glass (no windshield), vent windows, regulators, clutch/brake pedal assemblies, center console, etc.

No motor, though I would consider selling my 454 or 327 out of another vehicle (would need overhaul).

Would love your thoughts on price for the car independently, and also motor/tranny if you have thoughts here.

Here's a link to an extensive gallery, forum only allows 10 photos.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Wood Grass

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

Wood Automotive exterior Composite material Gas Road surface

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Luggage and bags Chair Bag Electric blue Denim

Car Hood Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Comfort Armrest Tints and shades Wood Denim

Shoe Luggage and bags Kitchen utensil Eyewear Sunglasses
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5,895 Posts
When the market was normal, this was maybe a $2000 car in this condition. With the way things have gone the past 2-3 years, you might be able to throw it on ebay & get $7500. Personally, if you get anything close to that, take it & run. This is a massive project, with a ton of rust. Hard to know what's going to remain after the media blaster is done with it.

Those front seats are from a '67 or '68, just FYI. And sell the T-56 separately...you'll get more money doing it that way.

· Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the market was normal, this was maybe a $2000 car in this condition. With the way things have gone the past 2-3 years, you might be able to throw it on ebay & get $7500. Personally, if you get anything close to that, take it & run. This is a massive project, with a ton of rust. Hard to know what's going to remain after the media blaster is done with it.

Those front seats are from a '67 or '68, just FYI. And sell the T-56 separately...you'll get more money doing it that way.
Thank you, appreciate the insight. Been out of the muscle car scene too long to know what's what nowadays.

· Gold Founding Member
40,784 Posts
136675B177969

136675B177968
The 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS was a separate series from the 300, 300 Deluxe & Malibu series and can be readily identified by both the Fisher Body Number plate (a.k.a. trim tag, cowl tag, etc.) and the Vehicle Identification Number plate (VIN).
The 1965 Malibu SS was available in both sport coupe (37) and convertible (67) models and with both L6 and V8 engines.

1965 Chevelle Super Sport (chevellestuff.net)

· Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS was a separate series from the 300, 300 Deluxe & Malibu series and can be readily identified by both the Fisher Body Number plate (a.k.a. trim tag, cowl tag, etc.) and the Vehicle Identification Number plate (VIN).
The 1965 Malibu SS was available in both sport coupe (37) and convertible (67) models and with both L6 and V8 engines.

1965 Chevelle Super Sport (chevellestuff.net)
Thanks for detail. I also have this trim tag, not sure if it belongs to this Chevelle or my '65 Plymouth Satellite (also a project). Any ideas?

Amber Rectangle Font Gas Tints and shades

· Registered
429 Posts
I wouldnt mind having another 65 convertible
Thanks for detail. I also have this trim tag, not sure if it belongs to this Chevelle or my '65 Plymouth Satellite (also a project). Any ideas?

View attachment 760316
Why would you take off the Trim tag?. I have never seen front armrests like that with ashtrays. I wonder if those were an option.
Edit: Just looked them up, reproductions cost 145 bucks a pair. First time I ever saw those before.

· Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldnt mind having another 65 convertible

Why would you take off the Trim tag?. I have never seen front armrests like that with ashtrays. I wonder if those were an option.
Edit: Just looked them up, reproductions cost 145 bucks a pair. First time I ever saw those before.
Possible it's from another car, there's arm rests in the photo with the body that look more accurate. To the point of @Pete 67, they are probably from 67-68 like the seats.

I didn't remove tag, car was purchased in exactly condition it is in. The fender stitching and everything already done by professional shop. Guy never paid so I picked it up with their mechanics lien.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
40-50k if completed and looking good
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

60-70k to complete that car.
honestly I’d except any reasonable offer 3000-4000 locally. List it on a auction site and it could get pushed up a lot more. Especially around tax return season.

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
It's a good thing you have the trim tag but its not a game changer if you didn't have it. The VIN is the most important piece of the project,without that you are almost sure to have an unsellable car. Is the VIN tag still intact and untouched ? IMO that's a $1500-2500 car as it sits, top price. Reason being,it's really close to a full on basket case.
There is so much left to do labor wise, all the parts and hardware are just removed and unmarked as to where they go to and what part they go to. That is a really important part of the disassembly process and it looks like it got skipped ? The question mark is because I'm hoping you took pictures or somehow marked the parts. That would bring the price of the car up a good amount and save the buyer some time putting it back together or just getting it ready to re-assemble or mocking it up before the paint gets sprayed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts