Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At MCACN and came upon this one of one car. Confirmed by Jim Mattison who is here also. Incredible car ordered by a GM Exec. COPO 9719 wow

Paul Winvoices

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Doesn't that engine have a Impala suffix code? I know it’s a odd ball. Roger Ausley told me all about it the other year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll post some pics later on, they are already posted on the Yenko site. Jim Mattison tracked down paperwork on the engine also. Owner has a poster with much info, I’ll take pics and post them also. Paul.

Reactions: Leadhead

·
Premium Member
13,295 Posts
I viewed the brief thread, at least brief at this point, on this car. I have never heard of its existance either. Seems as there is some confusion about it. There is a photo of the car doing duty as a drag car from back in the day. Then another post saying that photo is a different car. However the car in question has that drag racing photo displayed on its window?????? Then a post saying "the plot thickens". Is something being suggested?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
An IE block is from the big cars-SHP-4speed. Special high performance. My Chevelle came with it as a replacement way back when. Originally an L34-360hp car. Only a couple thousand made with the IE block.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More pics including engine info “IY” block. Copo number on engine sheet matches Copo info on window sticker. Keep in mind all the original drive train was missing when they got this car in 68 and has been replaced. Paul.

Attachments

Reactions: BlueSS454

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,199 Posts
The window sticker to me does not look authentic and as that appears to be the only actual documentation shown makes me go "hmmmm". The window sticker appears hand typed and all the authentic window stickers I've seen were generated on a computer printer in all caps with the VIN in two different parts and two different fonts and two different type face sizes and all the dollar figures did not have commas. edited out a misstatement on my part

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
The window sticker to me does not look authentic and as that appears to be the only actual documentation shown makes me go "hmmmm". The window sticker appears hand typed and all the authentic window stickers I've seen were generated on a computer printer in all caps with the VIN in two different parts and two different fonts and two different type face sizes and all the dollar figures did not have commas. Also, the 2-speed wipers and hubcaps at a minimum were options yet are not listed on the window sticker.
Please read the posts I made on the Yenko site. The car and the window sticker are unquestionably real.

The w/s has the 4-digit COPO # on it. Mark Meekins took pictures of the w/s many years before Jim Mattison in GM first found the COPO paperwork bearing that very same number. So no way it could have been faked or that correct number would not have been on it. I suspect that it was typed in the Central Office as part of the Central Office Production Order process for the car, which would explain the font issue (as well as the short and sweet descriptions of the drivetrain components). Remember, this was a one-off order done for one car, with the COPO number being created just for that one car, which means there would only ever be one window sticker created for that COPO number. So it would actually make less sense if it did have a "normal" window sticker.

And the mag caps ARE specifically listed on the window sticker, as a component part of that one-off COPO package.

Lastly, I have personally seen a pencil rubbing of the deck stamp on the original block (which is owned by someone else and is not in the car) that has the IY suffix code shown on the GM paperwork displayed with the car (and pictured in the Yenko thread), and the partial VIN of 5K195439, with all the correct fonts and format for the time the engine and car were built.

The 2-speed wiper motor is not original equipment on that car. Someone added a 66 square-motor 2-speed wiper motor between when the car was built and when the current owner bought it in 1968. So he assumed it was original to the car since it was there when he got it, and he restored the car with that wiper motor. But it is not original, as it would have been a round motor for a 65 Chevelle with 2-speeds.

(y)

·
Premium Member
13,295 Posts
Lastly, I have personally seen a pencil rubbing of the deck stamp on the original block (which is owned by someone else and is not in the car) (y)
Great explanation Jeff. Just curious, if the current owner bought it in 68 what is the explanation for the separation between the car and the original engine if the engine was not damaged or destroyed?

Reactions: boyd66k20

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
He

I wish he could get that other person to come off that number matching motor though.
That person is Alvin Colvin The same that wrote all those books. And Alvin stated he knows where the rear is. I am sure he wants a king ransom for it. Which is a shame.
What makes this story even cooler is the GM paperwork to back up the COPO claims. I have been saying for years to claim a true COPO you need one the COPO engineering number and the GM docs that corresponds with the number stating what needed to be done to build the car. Just about all claims stating COPO is all fluff and dreams. This is the real deal

·
Premium Member
13,295 Posts
That person is Alvin Colvin The same that wrote all those books.
Do you know how he came to be in possession of the engine and details of how the rear end became separated from the car? As the story was told it was stated the car has 4:88 gears in it so it made it sound like they were original as I assume the original intention of the car was for the quarter mile. Thus the picture of the car dressed as a drag car but then it was stated that was a different car. So that being said I don’t know why the picture was associated with the car

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Do you know how he came to be in possession of the engine and details of how the rear end became separated from the car? As the story was told it was stated the car has 4:88 gears in it so it made it sound like they were original as I assume the original intention of the car was for the quarter mile. Thus the picture of the car dressed as a drag car but then it was stated that was a different car. So that being said I don’t know why the picture was associated with the car
No, I got that info from reading the thread on Yenko site from the link posted by Jeff. I am sure there is way more than meets the eye here from the who who's of the chevelle world

1 - 20 of 30 Posts