Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my old battery cables out today after sitting in a box for 5 years. I see both cables have the 2nd wire with what looks like a fusible link in them, each about a foot long. I don't have a clue where they go? Searching the archives, I found Elree Colby's post on 2/22/2002 for the + cable for a 1970. If I buy new cables, are these 2nd wires going to be included? Thanks for any help on my 65 Malibu.
John

·
Registered
763 Posts
On my car ('65 Chevelle 300), the pig tail on the negative cable is an additional ground which is bolted to the inner front quarter.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Any after market battery cables that are for your 65 should have the second cable. The negative cable connects to the fender/fender well and doesn’t have a fusible link. The positive cable connects to the junction block next to the battery. In 65 GM didn’t use fusible links. It’s not a bad idea to add a #14 fusible link to the positive cable if the replacement cable doesn’t have it.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Now, all I have to do is find the box with the junction box.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That junction block should be about a 1" square piece of plastic bolted to the radiator support very near the battery. If it is not there, you can get one from YEAR ONE. GROUND UP might have them too.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimN,
Just ordered the the Junction Block from Ground Up today along with a Dash Harness wiring kit. My poor VISA card!
John
1965 Danube Blue Malibu Frame Off Resto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts