Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a '64 Chevelle that is advertised to be an SS 327 4sp. The car is all there & no obvious rust, but I haven't talked to the owner and I don't know if it is running. This has always been my favorite car! Some questions:

Do I need to be concerned with numbers such as engine and vin?

If so, where are they and what should they be?

What is the material difference between a Malibu and the SS for 1964?

He wants $2,000. ??

Any advice regarding what I should be looking for and what questions I should be asking would be really appreciated. The car is in Iowa, where I am visiting with my wife's parents. I live in California, and will be heading back early next week. I would like to drive it home (the dream)...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Steve, you can start like I did before my '67 purchase. Go to "Resto Shop" on the front page and find " How to buy a Chevelle". Then go to index of years and learn as much about the '64 as possible.

Whether it's a real SS or not is not as germaine, IMO, than it being your dream car.But after you do some refernce reading here you'll have a handle on SS v. non-SS.Good luck man

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve,

I believe that in 64 the vin number will tell you if it is true SS. There is some info in the archives that will tell you how to id an SS for that year. Like Gene says. If it is your dream car it is not important if it is a true SS as long as you are not paying through the nose for the SS badges. At a price of 2K sounds like a nice car even if is not a true SS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steve,
Check closer for rust then buy it, live the dream baby, when you get back to California join ACES and the Nor-Cal or So-Cal clubs and have a ball.
Norm

------------------

·
Administrator
16,168 Posts
Steve, 2k sounds like a good deal. I would follow Genes advice as there is a wealth of info there. If it looks to be an unrestored car chances are that it will be an SS. Just to get you started there were about 57k SS's made in 64. There were only a little over 8k 327's put in 64 Chevelles and that is for all of them not just the SS's. Let us know what you do.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
steve,
one difference between ss & malibu is the aluminum body side molding.ss would be positioned higher,near the top of fender. reg. malibu has molding about half way up the door.I paid $2k for mine even though it needed a motor.
Follow your dreams! Tony

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Steve-
To identify it, it should have a VIN that starts 13837, the motor will have a 'JR' engine code.(there were 2 327's available a 300hp version & a 365hp version, the 300hp's are by far more common but still minimal, the JR code above is for the 300 horse version which ONLY came with a 4 spd Muncie) For 2,000 snatch it up!!!! I just sold mine in decent condition(not the best) for $8,500 bucks back the Original Owner, they are wqorth something!!!! Like others said Live the Dream!!
Good Luck!!!!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.