Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Trying to sort out the pile of trim that came with my car and not having luck with the grill.

When purchased the center section was installed upside down and held on with bread ties. I've flipped it around and the outer and bottom screw holes line up, but I'm at a loss with the upper lip molding?

The lip holes line up with the tie bar holes but the center section and lip holes aren't even close.

Can anyone decipher what's going on?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: jelco

Registered
Hey guys,

Trying to sort out the pile of trim that came with my car and not having luck with the grill.

When purchased the center section was installed upside down and held on with bread ties. I've flipped it around and the outer and bottom screw holes line up, but I'm at a loss with the upper lip molding?

The lip holes line up with the tie bar holes but the center section and lip holes aren't even close.

Can anyone decipher what's going on?

Thank you in advance!

If,I remember correctly.
The 6 holes on "the upper lip molding" are riveted to the support and the grille, and the 5 holes are riveted to the under side of the grille.
There should be 5 holes on the under side of the grille(under the 6 holes).
When I did mine,I did`nt rivet the top piece to the under side of the grille and it stays in place.
I hope it makes sense.

Registered
I fooled around with this for a full day before figuring it out. Part of the reason was because the side holes didn't line up no matter what I did and the grill will fit either upside down or the correct way. And, the grill holes almost line up with the holes in the support, but then won't sit correctly on the valance.

The grill goes into the core support first and then the lip goes over the the grill lip keeping it in place. I am not sure how to get the lower rivets in place because you can't put the grill and lip together before mounting it to the core support. At least I couldn't...And, I think I had to take the valance and hood latch support off to install everything. I used stainless flat head bolts in place of the rivets...

I even have an assembly manual and it is ambiguous at best...grr

From above

From Below

My side holes didn't line up. I think this was an aftermarket grill - The supports are original to the car...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, greatly appreciated! I was wondering if it went under the tie bar but I'm pretty sure mine is bent. My assembly manual didn't have much either!

Thanks again!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a year?! Just wanted to update, my tie bar was bent pretty bad, think that was part of the reason I wasn't understanding the assembly.

Hammer, dolly, and large adjustable wrenches fixed it. Figured out the grill goes up into the underside of the tie bar, that's what I was missing.

Results 馃槃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts