Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Working on cleaning up my car and have a question.

I plan on getting into the engine bay and working on it, but not 100% about some of the things I see.

The upper part of the firewall looks like several panels overlay, you can see it above the air filter in the pic below. What do I do to this area? It looks like it maybe had seam sealer on it at some point? Should I just clean it and paint it or does it need sealer?

Still on the learning curve! Thank you in advance!

Registered
You can clean out the area, re-apply new seam sealer and then paint the whole area or clean out the area, weld the seam shut, do some metalwork smoothing out the welds, and then painting it.

It's just personal preference how you want to do it and what tools you have to work with.

Most of the time the factory just glopped seam sealer over the seam and you can make it nicer looking or do it like the factory did.

Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir, I just didn't know if that area had been worked on my car or was still factory. I'll clean it and seal it for now, appreciate the reply!

Premium Member
Seem Sealer = automotive product such as 3m. Spend $20-$30 per caulk gun tube. But it at a 'good' auto parts store.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Zeke! I work down the road from a Napa paint supply, will be heading there when I get around to cleaning it up. Right now just getting it road worthy so I can take it for license/theft inspection to get title. I'll be starting a project thread once the ball starts rolling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up, it is greatly appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts