Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Glad to be a part of the forum.

Purchased a 64 Chevelle tonight, split it with my father. We are finishing a '64 Impala sedan sleeper build. Always wanted a two-door '64 or '65 Chevelle.

Got a free freshwater cooled Mercruiser 454 from my buddy at my old Marina gig. Going to be slowly building it this winter and then dropping it in with a Muncie in the spring. (Will pick up a tougher trans down the road).

The car was made in CA, then went to TX, and was in the MA the last 20 years. It's super clean just every where. BARELY any rust- none underneath. Beautiful frame and undercarriage bits, small spots on rear of body above the rear bumper. 30 year old black lacquer paint job is garbage. Will be doing the whole body over at some point.

Car has factory wood wheel, factory AC and disc brakes (added on). Nice rims and caps, nice staggered rubber.

There some little odds and ends to take care of this winter while we plan the rest.
-Window felts
-Hyper silver rim paint (looks good but were once painted red)
-Seat adjustment catch needs work.
-Clean headliner- dirty in back
-Clean whole interior, maybe replace carpet. At the very least pull carpet out and check/paint floor.
-Front fender needs a bolt in the bottom
-Lots of paint chips, getting touch up paint to make better for now.

Has been lowered, looks like PO heated up the springs and bent them down lol. Rides great and looks tough, but suspension will be refreshed for the big block and later made to handle better.

Preliminary questions:
-Can I fit a big block with the A/C unit on the firewall? Saw a picture of a '65 with a BBC and A/C. Just curious.
-When I go to add the Zbar, will welding be required? Or are there bolt holes on the frame already? I've seen frames either way.

All for now, picture coming.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Looks like a nice car to start with!
With low valve covers you probably can fit a BB from what I see on the pictures. I have a BB in my non ac 64.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! It'll be a slow start. Going to be spending time getting little things fixed and also pricing body work and paint.

Pulling my free 454 tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
That car is super clean. I would ditch the 454 idea and do a LS swap and forget about the body and paint. Just drive the thing.

Andrew

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind works guys!! Got the car home today. Drove great, will start in on the car soon.

It's got a Reid's 350horse 350 (confirmed by Reid's stamp and info), car absolutely boogies.

Can't wait to get the big block and manual trans in there.

Suspension definitely needs to be refreshed. Thinking hotchkiss TVS

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
Sweet looking chevelle!, I'm sure you already know you can get more power out of that sbc

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been a while since posting here but working on the car all the time.

The free 454 ended up being junk- bad cylinders that were previously sleeved and rotten valve seats.

SO.. ended up with an early SS 4 bolt 454 block that's freshly machined and ready to go. (Decked, bored, like honed, checked etc).

It will be a 496 striker with a TKO600. However, the drivetrain is the last piece of puzzle )aside from body/paint). Still working on the test of the car.

What we have done so far:

Deleted factory AC. Didn't work, missing pieces, took up too much space in engine bay. Put in a fresh heating system with correct firewall cover.

Brand new 15" corvette rally's with BFG rubber. 15x7 front 4.25" bs 15x8 rear 5" bs. 225/60 front and 255/60 rear. It's the perfect combination for this car.

Full hotchkis TVS. Sways, springs, shocks, rear upper and lower control arms, hotchkis steering center link, all hotchkis balljoints and all bushings. Has the car aligned, it handles and drives amazingly.

Brakes. Had a single piston GM kit on the front and stock rear drums. Now has 4 corner wilwoods with wilwood manual master cylinder. Deleted the power booster because again, took up too much room and don't care for mushy power brakes. Engine doesn't make enough vacuum anyway.

Rear end. Factory gears are 3.36- added an eaton LSD. Made all the difference.

Pictures!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That's it for now.. I have a ton more pics but they're not necessarily relevant. Just glamor shots lol. Need to bleed front brakes and drive the car.

Next project is steering. Going with AGR box.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Nice progress! Keep up the good work!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never updated..

Car drives amazingly well. Haven't done the AGR steering box yet as other things have become in the way but what we can do in the mean time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Spent a few minutes on Thursday flipping the fan over.. was spinning the wrong way. Installed backwards.

It happens. Now that it's corrected I see a significant difference in how the the engine is cooled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Instead of the factory air, have you considered Vintage Air?

Hey Clint,

Don't really care about AC in the classic cars. Yes it's very hot and humid here but it's just not a priority.

The daily drivers have ice cold ac. Maybe we'll do vintage air someday. Need to get the BB and TKO in it first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't own a car without a/c. Doesn't get really humid here but does get hot.

Life's too short to be unhappy or uncomfortable,I guess.

Clint,

Understood. However it's just not a necessity to me/us. Maybe someday. I prefer fresh air anyway.. even if it's on the warm side!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts