Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Retrieved a failed project from 200 miles away. Car has a not so recent paint on it and was never reassembled, it's a good 60 footer. Well, it was reassembled completely wrong, plastic christmas tree fasteners trimmed to fit the backside of the trim and push onto the doors, etc. We removed all the loose trim, lights, and emblems so we didn't loose anything going down the road.

One thing we didn't check was the back window. It was just propped in place w/ nothing holding it in, we found out too late.

Have a new window on order and have some install questions.

I've read there's rubber bumpers that the window sits on to keep it from sliding down when it gets hot, I can't seem to find anyone selling these, anyone have a source? Or substitute?

Should I replace the clips around the window before install? Are there any "window kits" available that would be a one stop shop deal?

Anything I should pay attention to before/during install? Plan of action is remove trunk lid, clean areas meticulously (no rust, kinda fresh paint), put rope on window close to edge, center on car, then work my way around the window to seal it. Any primers or adhesion promoters?

This was night of retrieval, I will have many hours of cleaning and elbow grease in this thing very soon!

Thanks!

Jeff

Registered
The following YouTube video shows you how to install it and if you Email them at first class auto glass they will send you the rubber dam material and the urethane for a reasonable price. It's worth it to do the job right. It might take them a few days to respond to the Email.

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! I like the dam approach much better than the butyl rope I've used in the past! Done right it's a lot cleaner looking. Just put an email out to him to see if he has install kits put together, will be contacting local installers too.

This is my first classic car, lot of unknowns to me. I'm assuming I should replace the trim clips before installing the glass? I'm not even sure I have the trim for the back window as well. Haven't made it to the interior to run inventory on the piles..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts