Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parts book says that two types of two spoke wood wheels were available from 64-66. A simulated wood wheel (plastic) and a real rosewood wheel. Are these two different options? Were these interchangable under one option code? They certainly function and look similar. Are they for specific years? Obviously I would prefer the wood wheel but I have a well worn simulated wheel.

I see that the real wood wheel is reproduced. Was the simulated wood wheel ever reproduced?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There have been several attempts to reproduce the simulated wood wheel and the colors are not close nor are the look of the wood grain. The rosewood wheel the camaros got was also simulated wood. The only real wood wheel I remember was the corvette teak wheel, only on corvette.

The reproduction wood wheel would make a driver but not 1000 point show.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
My parts book says that two types of two spoke wood wheels were available from 64-66. A simulated wood wheel (plastic) and a real rosewood wheel. Are these two different options? Were these interchangable under one option code? They certainly function and look similar. Are they for specific years? Obviously I would prefer the wood wheel but I have a well worn simulated wheel.

I see that the real wood wheel is reproduced. Was the simulated wood wheel ever reproduced?
What parts book says there was a real wood wheel for 64-66 Chevelles? I'd suspect some aftermarket supplier and they tend to lump several years of Chevelles together on many parts that are not really correct.

For 66 Chevelles there was a single 'simulated wood grain' wheel offered under RPO N34 which Chevrolet lists as, "Steering Wheel, Sports-styled, walnut-grain plastic ring." The Corvette had a Teakwood steering wheel under RPO N32 first offered in 65 but it was plastic as well as being a 3-spoke wheel.
See http://www.web-cars.com/images/vette_img/DSC_1087_a.jpg

The 67 and 68 Chevelles also had a walnut-grain plastic wheel in a 3-spoke design under RPO N34. I don't think the rosewood plastic wheel came into Chevelles until 1969.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That picture is a walnut wheel, the Teak wheel looks FUNKY, all different colors, and the wood overlaps. The early 'Vette wheels looked like the '67-up wheels, but the hubs were different, the lower spoke of the wheel didn't overlap , but was molded in as one piece, where as the '67-up wheels had the overlay. The lower spoke sat on top of the 2 middle spokes. I had a '65 Walnut wheel , like in the picture, and it brought $325 10 years ago. The Teak ones are $650 +.

This is a Teak wheel, and it was real wood. All others were plastic.

http://www.autamotors.com/LinkOut/index.asp?GoTo=/Photos/10909_1312915908291_Original.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my 1966 Chevelle only parts book:
9741033 Walnut wood grained steering wheel 64-66 All.

The 64 parts book lists:
9741033 as Wood grain wheel plastic (walnut)

this is where I got confused. I thought that they went to real wood in 65 or 66.

On eBay I see wood two spoke wheels (66 style) where you can see a flat stainless band laying flat, exposed around the outer perimeter sandwiched between wood. Is this for anything specific or is this a reproduction? below is a link to the one that is different than my plastic one.

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE...018QQitemZ280089437464QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mine is a oem two bar rosewood wheel 16 inches plus in diameter. The two spokes are stainlesss with holes. The horn button resembles a 69 Z cept the Z has a rounded edge and the chevelle is cut sq chrome. The bottom of hub will be flat no staggered spokes or head. The other was a plastic wheel painted the same color as interior with horn ring. They made another wheel for a corvair that is a ringer for the optional rosewood and it was 15 inches. I keep looking. The teak wheels came on corvettes IMO

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Correct, the wheel for early Chevelle are 2 spoke, and made of plastic, not meaning to confuse anyone. They have the same appearance as the later 3 spoke wheels, a Walnut color. The link Floyd posted is an early wheel.The Teak 3 spoke wheels are the only ones offered in real wood, and are a Corvette only option.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts