Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Aside from Classic Dash and a couple others, does anyone who makes a stock style bezel but not in plastic chrome?
Classic Dash bezels are super nice but I am using a Dakota Dash, trying to source something that isn't chromed plastic and will hold a stock style/ dakota gauge insert.

Thanks in advance.... I've searched high and low, willing to pay someone to make it!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't think any of them were metal.
I have 4, 2 of which are originals, and they are all plastic.
Maybe some of the guys on here who really know this stuff will chime in.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am 99% sure they are all plastic.
I am looking for a company who can fab one up in metal stock style and deleting the holes for stock radio, ClassicDash is great but they only offer one style of gauge configuration. I emailed them but they don't offer custom designs.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
If I had bigger mill, I would give it a try for you just to challenge myself. I'm not sure what 64-65 looks like. I made a custom panel for my 66 on my mill but took some time to constantly change set ups due to limited travel. If you want to pm me a couple of pics, i'll take a look and see if I can work it into my schedule.

Pat

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
I had an outfit called Haneline make mine close to 20 years ago. I think they're out of buisness now.

It's a plastic insert with an engine turned backing, with holes cut to match the gauges I had planned.

Devin

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Hey all!

Aside from Classic Dash and a couple others, does anyone who makes a stock style bezel but not in plastic chrome?
Classic Dash bezels are super nice but I am using a Dakota Dash, trying to source something that isn't chromed plastic and will hold a stock style/ dakota gauge insert.

Thanks in advance.... I've searched high and low, willing to pay someone to make it!
Quite frankly, I see nothing wrong with the plastic instrument bezels. I paid good money to have a 1965 bezel properly restored (by Instrument Specialties in N. Kingston, RI) with only chrome accents as the original had. I am not restoring my 1965 El Camino to look the way it rolled off the assembly line but I do like the original instrument bezel. If you are dead set on a fabricated metal one, try contacting some to the more well known hot rod shops such as The Roadster Shop who have outstanding metal workers. Rad Rods by Troy and Kindig It Design are a couple of others. I can almost guarantee they won't be cheap though. Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, super helpful. I give some of these options a shot, and try the link for Haneline.
I love the stock bezel, I just have a distaste for plastic-chrome in this particular build. I was just considering painting the stock bezel, but I'd also need a radio block off plate since I am relocating the stereo into a custom console. Def. a few options.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
If you don't want to paint the bezel, you can always do a wrap of your choosing. That's what I did for mine as I didn't like the aluminum look. I will post pics later if you want for ideas. As for the radio delete, that should not be too much of an issue. Should be pretty simple to machine a piece to fit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'd love to see it.
A wrap you say, like a vinyl type wrap? I'd love to see what you did.
I'd just want the radio delete to have the same horizontal lines through it to match up. Probably not a huge task.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
No suggestions, just commiserating about no easy radio delete for a stock dash bezel, and the fact that the aftermarket repro bezels have CHEVELLE molded into them. >:)

The dash bezel on my '65 Chev El Camino is not chromed. It's matte Silver. Were all the original '65 Chevelle/El Camino bezels chromed, or only the Chevelle bezels?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that's the case, Im about to order a 64' ElCamino bezel! I like matte, I don't really have any chrome on this build.
But then there is the challenge of blocking off the radio holes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Subscribing..

I was looking for a blank flat insert (no gauge holes) for a 65... seems to be none out there.. There was one company, but has discontinued production..

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
No suggestions, just commiserating about no easy radio delete for a stock dash bezel, and the fact that the aftermarket repro bezels have CHEVELLE molded into them. >:)

The dash bezel on my '65 Chev El Camino is not chromed. It's matte Silver. Were all the original '65 Chevelle/El Camino bezels chromed, or only the Chevelle bezels?
Original 65 bezels were not chromed, they were matte silver. The edges were more like chrome.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Original 65 bezels were not chromed, they were matte silver. The edges were more like chrome.
Thanks

Mine is a hybrid then. It's matte silver on face and the surround, and has a thin black edge on it. :D

The all chromed reproductions are too shiny for my taste. I guess I'm stuck doing touch up if I want it too look good with stock gauges.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I painted mine and then just highlighted the lettering.
I used a trim router to modify the holes to accept the Classic Instruments gauges I an using.
Not a tough job at all, if you're handy with those type tools.

IMG_0095.jpg

Gauge insert 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Thanks

Mine is a hybrid then. It's matte silver on face and the surround, and has a thin black edge on it. :D

The all chromed reproductions are too shiny for my taste. I guess I'm stuck doing touch up if I want it too look good with stock gauges.
This is one I had restored:
Bezel_TC_1.jpg

Bezel_TC_Detail.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts