Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, have the stock 3.07 1 bolt for the 64 Elky. This will be a long hauler, with a trailer hitch, nice lil 400 sbc built for low end TQ, likely a 200R4.

I see there is no longer a 30 spline carrier avail, so was thinking Eaton posi, new axles, and of course all new seals and bearings.

the backing plates on the 10 bolt are much too small. I;d prefer to use larger drums back there, fitted with musclecarbrakes innards.

I see 9.5" backing plates available. Any issue in upgrading them?

Years back I'd hold off for a 12, but they are very spendy anymore and think a built 10 will hold fine for this app. I'm even considering leaving the 3.07s in for a low 2000 rpm 75 mph cruise rpm.

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
I can't comment on the brakes but I would recommend a Moser girdle to keep the carrier bearings in place if you plan to use the 400 when you're towing. I've been beating on mine with a 6 speed and decent clutch, no carnage yet.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't considered that , THNX! I should probably gridle the ratmobile come to think of it. Beating on it moves the shims around! Hate to lose the stock look tho. Not an issue on the 64 .

Registered
As far as I know there was never a 30 spline differential for the 8.2 10 bolt. You can upgrade the 8.5 to 30 spline axles, but not the 8.2. I don't know if you will like the 3.08 gears with overdrive and a trailer behind you. You may find that the transmissions is constantly downshifting.

Registered
I'd thrown a "Perfect Launch" cover on mine when I first got it on the road that was laying around. Kept noticing how hot the diff got after driving.

I'd watched Gale Banks's videos on rear diff cover designs and realized the inside of that cover wasn't directing gear oil properly. Switched over to the Moser which had factory style internal design / channels and could lay my hand on the rear after a drive, before you could feel the heat radiating off of it. Here's the interior of the Moser, properly follows the ring and has fluid paths to the bearings/axles:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know there was never a 30 spline differential for the 8.2 10 bolt. You can upgrade the 8.5 to 30 spline axles, but not the 8.2. I don't know if you will like the 3.08 gears with overdrive and a trailer behind you. You may find that the transmissions is constantly downshifting.
I hear ya Freddie, the ol 3,42 or 3,55 may be a much better match, Once I throw new gears into the mix, + pro setup, it really pushes the envelope in cost.

PS I didnt think you could tow heavy in OD anyhow. This rear is a tiny thing; even I can move it.

Registered
The Dana brand posi unit in my 57 Chevy was up dated with larger diameter 65 Plymouth side gears and Summers Brothers axles. Don't know if that's a possibility in a later ten bolt or not.

Reactions: 427L88

Premium Member
I've got a bunch of high-end parts in my 8.2" ten bolt that I built when I had a 350 SBC in the car, maybe making 430 HP.

I now have a 383 that is probably making around 470 HP/TQ....but will (hopefully) soon be making 500/500 with new AFR 195 heads.

I've already had issues breaking things on my current 8.2" ten bolt....but mostly as a result of racing and running drag radials.

If you don't plan on taking this to the track, you're probably OK.

BUT.....what I did was financially stupid as I'm probably going to have to upgrade to a 12 bolt at some point.

My point is that I'd only use the 8.2 rear if you keep cost to an absolute minimum. If you're going to spend modest to big money on a rear, go with a 12 bolt and don't waste your time and money like I did. It's just not worth it in the end.

Reactions: Dansk and 427L88

Premium Member
64 has different axle spline cut vs 65- so if you install a aftermarket posi you need new axles.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or have mounts welded on a 78 ish GM car like an Omega 8.5 which is a pretty stout piece and drive away. Available with posi etc. My Omega had 3.08's which were pretty good gears with the 2004r I installed in it.
Tha'ts where i am leaning Dan..

Registered
64 has different axle spline cut vs 65- so if you install a aftermarket posi you need new axles.
I've heard this and worried about it when I purchased my Eaton. Summit doesn't even list one for the 64. I found a listing for the 8.2" w/ 28 spline. I have 0 history on my car, but the axles were 28 spline and it's been working for 3 years. Still running stock axles too, but am using 500 treadwear tires as my fuse.

Registered
Or have mounts welded on a 78 ish GM car like an Omega 8.5 which is a pretty stout piece and drive away. Available with posi etc. My Omega had 3.08's which were pretty good gears with the 2004r I installed in it.
that is a pretty good idea actually - what is the width of those?

Registered
I wish I knew who keeps putting out these charts with bad information on them. This chart, just like the rear end width chart that everybody keeps posting, has the wrong information on it. The 8.5 was not produced until '71, so it is not possible that ANY '70 model cars got the 8.5 rear end. The X body cars didn't get the 8.5 until '72 and the Chevelle didn't get it until '73. The only A body cars that got the 8.5 in '71 were the Skylark and Cutlass. Trucks didn't get the 8.5 until '82.

Premium Member
1970 Chevelle Vortecpro 496, Hotchkis TVS Suspension, TH400, Factory 12 bolt/strange axles
I used one of these in my old 10 bolt. Never put a lot of HP through it but it held up. Nice that it opens up and unlocks around cornners. No binding.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Rim

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.