Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neat old drag car here, and it's even powered by a W-motor. I can't tell if the paint and lettering are vintage, or if someone painted them over an ancient paint job.... I guess it doesn't matter either way, just passing time on Christmas Eve....

1956 Chevrolet Bel Air/150/210 BELAIR | eBay

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
Cool car, bet it was pretty quick in its day

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I don't think it's a vintage race car. The seller never makes such a claim. It just doesn't feel right, all of the lettering is conveniently missed the missing paint and rust. I think it's an old street machine that was cobbled together and lettered to impress people at car shows.

When was it ever legal to run engine swaps in Super Stock other than the GT classes and those are newer bodies with older engines.?

Steve R

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
I like the car. I think his opening bid is reasonable if the motor is what he states it is. '56 is my favorite tri-five.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Patina looks real to me, but the lettering looks recent.

I think the rags in the trunk may be strategically placed to cover a hole.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
im doing some rear suspension work on a vintage drag car now. 62 belair. its was in the nov 68 pop hot rodding. the guy has owned it since 63. love vintage drag cars. whatever this 56 used to be its still a neat old car

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
There's a **** LOCKART in OH that owns a sign company, call him and ask when he did this car, if he did this car.

What's funny is, the car is from OH.

Both the car and the sign company are in springfiled OH...

I bet money on...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well if it's the same **** Lockhart it's not vintage, Lockhart Signs was established in 1978... However, if you look at the driver's side front fender there are chips in the lettering and paint, so, it's not brand new or **** is really good at patina lettering... Finding someone that can still hand letter like that in these parts are getting harder and harder to find... Nice work regardless...

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Love the look....real or not!

I had that same hood scoop, painted flat black, on a yellow '55 back in about 1967, and it was functional. Kind of a cowl induction thing.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Well if it's the same **** Lockhart it's not vintage, Lockhart Signs was established in 1978... However, if you look at the driver's side front fender there are chips in the lettering and paint, so, it's not brand new or **** is really good at patina lettering... Finding someone that can still hand letter like that in these parts are getting harder and harder to find... Nice work regardless...
It still could be from that time frame.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
It looks original to me. The Bad Apple part looks recent like it was either added later or it was there all along but was redone recently.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It still could be from that time frame.
It's a newer paint job designed to look old, it's not even accurate to the class painted on the fender. I dug up a 1968 NHRA rulebook, even then it says a car competing in Super Stock had to retain an engine from the year the car was manufactured, for this car it would have been a 265. Besides the placement is wrong, I've never seen a door car with the class designation on the fender, the only places I've seen them are on the windows, front and or side, occasionally on the C-pillar.

There are lots of ways to make something look like a cool old race car, I just wish they wouldn't fake the class.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys...agree that the price is way out there, and I sort of suspected the lettering wasn't real.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts