Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some re-consructive surgury on the ancient and hacked wiring when I lost the turn signals. The fuse box dosn't identify turn signals, but all of the fuses are good and have power. There's a plug with 7 wires that goes to the turn signal switch on the column. Which one is the HOT lead to that switch?
It looks like this:
_
_ _ _
__ __ __

------------------
MY 69
My 65

[This message has been edited by Jimmy P (edited 04-30-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, no books on that one so I'll try and drive blind. Maybe a white wire. Look to see what is on the brake switch. If it has a white wire coming off of it, press down on the brake. Measure the wire off off the switch. See if it has power. See if that same wire is on the turn signal switch. See if it also has power when the brake pedal is pushed.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. The white wire is in the 'top' position of the pymamid plug.
I'm having some wierd problems here. The GEN light is coming on also when I try to put the signal on. Could it possibly be the flasher?

[This message has been edited by Jimmy P (edited 04-30-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I'm having some wierd problems here. The GEN light is coming on also when I try to put the signal on. Could it possibly be the flasher?"

This is a new one on me. Haven't seen it before. Perhaps the alternator/regulator is acting up some. Maybe take a few measurements and see what may be happening. Remember I don't have a diagram to look at so I'm just assuming Chevy wiring is still similar. I don't remember if that car has the older generator versus the "newer" alternator. Maybe if you take a look in there and post back. See if the set-up under the hood looks like the later 60's cars. The older generator looks different than a Chevelle alternator. Let me know and I or someone will give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's all been converted to a late model (60's-70's) alternator. I wish, just once I can buy a classic car that hasn't had the wiring harness remodeled by someone who thinks they can do better than GM!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jimmy
Does this late model alternator have an external regulator? If so, I'll type up some ideas on checking it out.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an external regulated alt. I just bought a varible flasher to replace the 42 year old original, God bless it! Now, the GEN light doesn't come on and I still don't have turn signals. ????? Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Great on the GEN light problem. Go back and measure the white (I assume) brake light wire I mentioned above. I'm assuming that white is the input and yellow & green are the output wires to the brake.
See if I'm correct on the colors that have power and the brake lights work.
*EDIT*
Back again. Keep getting interrupted at work.
If the turn signal is set up the same way as the later models this may help. The brakes and the turn signals share the same filament in the 1157 lights is the rear. If brake power goes into the switch on the white wire, as long as no direction is selected, power comes out the yellow and green wires to the brakes. If one direction is selected than power comes from the flasher can for that side while the other side still gets power from the brake circuit.

Look to see if you can tell what color wires are attached to the flasher can. Maybe a brown and purple? The purple should also then run over to the turn signal switch. See it there is any power on the purple lead on either the flasher can or the turn signal.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 04-30-2002).]

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UUUUURRGGGHHH! The GEN light is back on. To me it would seem as though the new flasher has gone south and there must be a short somewhere causing it?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like the alternator/regulator are acting up intermittently. Measure the alternator output on the large red wire to a good ground. Should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Maybe the voltage is low and keeps turning on the GEN light.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The voltage is 14 - 14.3 Thanks for hanging in there with me. I'm going to try everyday until I figure this thing out. Even if I have to buy a new column!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Save the money on the column.
The light comes on because the voltage is not the same on both sides of the lamp. One side of the lamp is tied to the ignition switch, the other side goes to the regulator/alternator.
Try this:

Engine off
Pull the regulator connector off.
Key to ON
Measure the brown wire that comes from the GEN light. It should have 12 volts to ground.
Key to OFF.
Voltage on the brown wire should go to 0 volts.
Reinstall the regulator connector.
Remove the alternator connector
Key to ON
Measure the blue wire that comes from the regulator. It should have 12 volts to ground.
Key to OFF.
Voltage on the blue wire should go to 0 volts.
Reinstall the alternator connector
Start car
Measure the blue wire again while it is plugged into the alternator. Should have around 13.5 volts on it.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem solved! It looks like the fuse box is bad. There was no power to the flasher. I'm odering a new fuse box for the permanant fix. Thanks John Muha!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts