Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56 powerglide in good working condition.
-Has torque converter, side mounts, bell housing, starter and lines albeit bent from removal.

I realize that to most people it is a boat anchor. I am sad to say that this transmission only has value to someone doing a period correct restoration. Most who have their original powerglides fail either have them rebuilt, or replace them with a more modern 350, 400, etc......but if it doesn't sell it will truly become a boat anchor for my boat.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Cast iron?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Be careful, had a 55 with powerglide. Reverse was all the way down on the detent instead of low. If you forgot this important difference, as you rev up in the box, you may disappear going rapidly in reverse. They may find you, but maybe not. Usually the odor from your shorts helps in the search.
Only happened to me once, but i'll never forget all the shocked looks. Reminded me some what of a Rod Serling episode, where everthing was backwards.:surprise:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 56 265 and glide combo I will sell for $50. Tried to sell it a few times with no luck. You might luck out and find the right guy but it is a long shot.

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
The last 55 Chevy I had that I sold,I had the original 235 and Powerglide for it.Even the guy that bought the car wouldn't take them,couldn't give them away,went to the scrapper.Yes,they are cast iron.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
You never know until it sells, but you need to seriously peddle the thing within a tri-five community. A family friend pulled the original 235 out of his original paint, little-old-lady 210 Handyman and was able to sell it to a very happy buyer who was restoring a 55 Nomad that was an original 6-cylinder car (go figure). The odds are slim but there are purists out there. You just have to find them or make them find you.

I paid $100 for a ready to drop-in TH350 that was built for durability to live behind a stout 383 (the owner decided he wanted a manual and the TH350 in his garage was just in his way). It is a crap shoot, just clean it up, post any relevant numbers, price it like you want to seriously sell it and want to see it reunited with a restored 56. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be careful, had a 55 with powerglide. Reverse was all the way down on the detent instead of low. If you forgot this important difference, as you rev up in the box, you may disappear going rapidly in reverse. They may find you, but maybe not. Usually the odor from your shorts helps in the search.
Only happened to me once, but i'll never forget all the shocked looks. Reminded me some what of a Rod Serling episode, where everything was backwards.:surprise:
Correct and its why it was changed in 57

1 - 8 of 8 Posts