Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys may be interested to see a web site called www.thecarcollection.com in the 'muscle' section they list a 70 LS6 convertable for $195,000.00. Thats the highest asking price I ever saw for a Chevelle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
For a frame off resto, the interior looked dirty. Wonder if they put the original back in. Drivers side carpet and seats looked like they'd been to a construction site. Undercarraige not exactly immaculate. I'd give 30K since it is a ragtop. Would like to hear what it ends up going for.

------------------
John Walker
67 SSClone
Metro Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've seen that car feautured in a few books. No gauges, no cowl hood or stripes, bench seat. There was a black LS-6 conv. that was a no sale at Auburn after being bid to ~ $56,000. (wasn't mine) My guess is the current market value for a restored documented LS-6 conv is in the $50,000 - $80,000 range, maybe more for ultra low miles or lots of options. BUT, who knows what someone will pay. I'd sure like to know where those productions figures come from that are cited for that car. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't car how rare it is, If some has that kind of money in that car, they wasted their money. Look a the interior picture closly, The chrome plate that goes aroung the shifter hole is missing, the carpet is trashed. The hood latch and the hood spring assem. should be zinc-phosphate not black. The aluminium intake has no over spray, the factory had the intake on the engine when it was painted originally, and there should be a little over spray on each side. I was also under the inpression that the master cylinder wasn't gold/cadmium. I thought that just the booster and the lid on the master cylinder were gold/cadmium. Also the fan on the alternator was never black. The bolts that hold down the radiator support panal should be painted black. I'm not sure on this one either but I thought the wire leading to the horn was supposed to be green. Do those look like the old spiral shocks up front? They look like aftermarkets to me, but its very hard to tell. One last thing, the shifter looks like a hurst issue, was that original. I'm only 18 and I think I did a pretty good job at critiquing this $195,000 Chevelle. Anyone else want to help. Please tell me if I was wrong on any thing. I would really like to know, I want to learn as much as I can. This is fun.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
1972 El Camino

[This message has been edited by elcamino72 (edited 09-18-99).]

[This message has been edited by elcamino72 (edited 09-18-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Haven't looked at the link yet, but joe, I've only seen 1 higher asking price, Aug 98 supposed "One and Only Z16 Droptop" $250,000 in SanFrancisco.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.chevelles.com/showroom/stevedmalibu.jpg
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Joe,Im not sure about there numbers or being that rare but I thought LS6 had cowl induction hoods.Im not that up on 70s.

·
Registered
326 Posts
WHAT!!!

Steve - someone claims to have the one and only Z16 conv. I would like to see if someone really looked that one over. To say you have that car is a bold statement. Most sources have written that car off. If it is real that car is worth that much.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
EC72- You're close...pictures can be deceiving...the Master cylinder is painted cast iron grey. this is ok. The shifter ring looks to be there, but not too good of shape. In addition, the smog hose to the left bank goes OVER the radiator hose, and the car has a top post battery. ALL 454 cars in '70 had side post batteries, it was a manditory option. As a matter of fact, it was the only manditory option with the 454. Everything else was optional.
The dash pad and instrument panel look to be too blue to me. I think it should be closer to the seat and door panel color. I'll have to look at my car today.

How about the other prices???? 38K for a '69 Camaro SS396????? 33.5K for a '69 Z???? Come on...at these prices it's not likely they'll sell anything soon!

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
How about $18K for a six-banger 65 Impala cop car! Man, what I could do with $18K....

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Elcamino72 -

I agree totally that the car should be perfect for that price, and its not. One minor correction on your critique - the bolts that hold the radiator support top plate are not painted black. That's the way you usually see them, but they are supposed to have a black/dark gray oxide appearance. The bolts do appear to have the correct finish.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
740 Posts
I kinda liked that cop impalia atleast he is a little more original restoring a police car that car car looks to be worth more then 18k

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know guy's, sounds pretty reasonable to me. I think I'll buy it! Now where'd I leave that Monopoly money...

Dave

------------------
Team Chevelle #373
69 SS Convertible

·
Registered
104 Posts
This $195K has bn listd on that wb site for over a year. I doubt that it will ever sell at the asking price, or anywhere close to it. If I were a milliionaire a couple times over I would nevr spend that kind of money on any mass-produce car. It's insane!

The guy in S.F. who claimed to have the one and only Z16 ragtop turned out to be a flake. A buddy of mine contacted him and the guy couldn't correctly answer half the questions about the car. Rather odd, since he claimed that he was looking at the restored vehicle as he talked on the phone. My buddy said that he would pay the asking price (forget the amount) in cash and could be there within the hour. The "owner" said that he would think about it and get back to us. We never heard from him again. (And we weren't surprised.)

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
It looks like the interior picture had a bit of digital work, notice the fuzzy areas. I wonder if the carpet is roached? Also, the passenger door is not aligned properly. See how the reflection lines jog between the door and fender. That usually means poor body work.... This baby does not appear to be a jewel.

So, what if someone had purchased a new LS6 an never driven it. What would it be worth?

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is the same car in Mike Muellers "Chevelle 1964-1972 Muscle car color history"pages 96-101.No its not even worth a 3rd of the asking price!!!

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Dean -

Is this the one with the crooked SS emblems on the fenders? My guess is that its the same car that Volo Auto Museum in IL had back in the early 90's.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.