Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to update my wheels and finally ordered a set today. I'll first give an alert to a deal on these I found here's the link Rocket Wheels MMR16-896135: Modern Muscle Booster Wheel - Hyper Shot 1993-02 Camaro | JEGS . Every place else wants $285 each for these so I'm not sure if they messed up or they don't mark up the price because they ship direct from the manufacturer.

On to my main question. I've determined a 1in spacer will be needed and found many bolt on one's. The ones I need with a 70.5mm center bore come with 12.5mm studs. The ones that have 70.3mm center bore that I guess could be milled slightly come with 7/16 studs. My question is will the 12.5mm stud work fine or should I have the ones with the 7/16 studs bored out a bit?

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
I was just looking at those wheels yesterday on either ebay or amazon, dont remember but do remember they were over $250, nice looking wheels, with that offset are you sure you're not going to have a fender rub issue?, oh I see your going to use a spacer, put some pics up when you get them on, thanks, rick.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just looking at those wheels yesterday on either ebay or amazon, dont remember but do remember they were over $250, nice looking wheels, with that offset are you sure you're not going to have a fender rub issue?, oh I see your going to use a spacer, put some pics up when you get them on, thanks, rick.
My current wheels are 15x8 4.25 backspacing with -6mm offset and with tires that don't have an overall with over 9in I have great clearance in the rear. I'm running 70s in the rear now 60s would rub. The rocket racing wheels have 6.38 backspacing and 35mm offset will gain a tad over an inch more wheel lip space. I have almost 3in to play with on the inside. So with a 1in spacer I should end up with about 1/8 in more outer clearance than I have now when all is calculated. A 235 45 18 tire should have a with of 10in the same or close to the actual width of the new wheels. So they should fit nicely. Although I can't know at this point if there's any other problems that might come up.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting outcome to fitting my new wheels. Yesterday I dug out my fifth wheel I had stored. Bent it years ago and purchased a new one. Remeasured the backspacing and it's 4.5in 0 offset. I had planned on double checking before ordering spacers anyway and will double check the new wheels when they arrive. So with this info 1in spacer will be too much and left me with an issue because I could only find hubcentric spacers that bolt on and bolt on spacers don't exist that I can find below 1in. Then I remembered BMW has a 120mm bolt pattern vs chevy at 4.75in that's 120.7mm. BMW uses 12mm bolts to hold the wheels on and I'm using 7/16 which is about 1mm smaller so spacers that are available for BMW will slip right on and there hubcentric none bolt on and available in many more sizes to fine tune the spacing. All I had to do was find hubcentric rings to fit the spacer to my car and the new wheels to the rings and longer studs. It should actually work better for fitting the wheels and checking wheel torque because I won't need to remove all 4 wheels to check the lugs a bolt on spacer would have.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
Could you use large washers? 4 5 6 and on stacked on the studs to get to where you want then measure them?, it would be a cheap way to do 1 rear 1 front then order what you need

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you use large washers? 4 5 6 and on stacked on the studs to get to where you want then measure them?, it would be a cheap way to do 1 rear 1 front then order what you need
I thought about doing that it would certainly make things easier.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Does a 35mm offset mean about a 5" backspace on a 9"wheel? I'm running a 8" wheel with 5" bs on my 66 chevelle. Being 15" the rim would hit the shock absorber. I ordered a 1" adapter off eBay and it fits perfectly now. Since the rims use a acorn style lug nut, could you just throw a 1/2 inch spacer or whatever thickness you need and run longer studs? Those adapters with the 12mm lugs comes with nuts that are metric so you'll need 7/16 lug nuts to bolt them onto your car. Jim

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does a 35mm offset mean about a 5" backspace on a 9"wheel? I'm running a 8" wheel with 5" bs on my 66 chevelle. Being 15" the rim would hit the shock absorber. I ordered a 1" adapter off eBay and it fits perfectly now. Since the rims use a acorn style lug nut, could you just throw a 1/2 inch spacer or whatever thickness you need and run longer studs? Those adapters with the 12mm lugs comes with nuts that are metric so you'll need 7/16 lug nuts to bolt them onto your car. Jim
35mm positive offset in a 9 is 6.38in backspacing. They should literally bolt up and not hit as is except in the front where hard turning could rub. I'm figuring a 15mm spacer should be just right. I've been using an online wheel calculator.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
5" backspace on a 9" wide wheel = 0 offset, Jim. 5" backspace on a 8" wide wheel = +12mm.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My luck just keeps getting better with jegs. The wheels I ordered I never got a tracking number so 5 phone calls later it turned out the ones I orders were not in stock and are likely not to be any time soon. The nice jegs lady offered to change my order to the black or chrome no extra charge. I picked chrome the black I just can't stand. So I got almost a $400 upgrade free and they shipped out last night. I might plasti dip the spokes gunmetal grey I seen them done they look old school and retro at the same time although all chrome should look killer to. Also ordered a 13in corvette disk swap for the front from summit comes with spindles and sealed bearing vet hubs just bolts on should look sweat and bettet yet stop better than my drums.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Test fitted one today. Looks like a 20mm spacer will put them right where they need to be it's a tad over 3/4in. I like the look they give the illusion it's lower because there tucked up higher. Not sure about the front yet my disk break kit is still on its way I think I can get away with a 15mm spacer up front but not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the wheels mounted. 275 40 18s rear 255 40 18s front. No spacers front they won't fit the bigger old school hubs but I kinda like it it makes the rears look wider and at full lock they don't hit the sway bar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts