Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a BBC that produces 400whp and last summer my cooling system was really stressed. So I decided it was time to make some changes this year. I had an 18", six blade fan with one of those chrome, half crescent shrouds that I assume do very little to help increase air flow. My radiator is a stock style 3 row, copper. I was amazed at how tiny the tubes are.

So I figured that I would start with installing a better shroud, so I went with a stock style shroud. I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that when properly installed, the fan comes in contact with the shroud at the bottom of the opening.

So, now I decided to try a 17" flex-a-lite fan and I bought a new radiator from Alumitech. My question is, will the 17" fan be enough with the new radiator and the stock style shroud? My last alternative will be electric fans.

·
Super Moderator
9,740 Posts
It's airflow that you need. The Flexalite Fans should be used to weighth down garbage cans only.
A stock 17"fan, with correct shroud and viscous coupler should do the job.

Talk to the guys at Alumatech as they are the pro's at this.
Also make sure you have no air in the system, a working thermostat and correctly sized pulleys/water pump. At idle a lot of those things do not produce enough air/water flow if incorrectly sized.

Theres lots of info in the heating/cooling area.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's airflow that you need. The Flexalite Fans should be used to weighth down garbage cans only.
A stock 17"fan, with correct shroud and viscous coupler should do the job.

Talk to the guys at Alumatech as they are the pro's at this.
Also make sure you have no air in the system, a working thermostat and correctly sized pulleys/water pump. At idle a lot of those things do not produce enough air/water flow if incorrectly sized.

Theres lots of info in the heating/cooling area.
Roger that. I called Don, then I cancelled my order with Summit for the flex-a-lite fan and went with a Hayden SD clutch fan.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realized that the pitch of the blades has to be 2.5" for a SD clutch. Unfortunately for me, finding one that is 17" is becoming a serious challenge. The Hayden fan I thought I was going to buy is a semi-flex and only good to 6k rpm

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Don back and decided to just go with the twin electric fans.
I'm sure I'll be very happy, and the 10% off discount spring sale didn't hurt either. :hurray:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts