Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 16 volt battery in his car, but he has 12 volt accessories like the electric drive for the water pump, MSD.....Is there a regulator that will handle the input of a 16 volt battery and put out the necessary 13.6 volts that a normal charging system would have?

Thanks,
Jim

[This message has been edited by Epistuff (edited 07-05-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm lost. Why a 16 volt battery? Besides screwing up some things is won't stay charged. The alternator would have to put out something like 17.5 volts to hold up the battery.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
Race only car, no alternator. Some components are labeled as 12V/16V, while others aren't. Starter is OK, ignition is OK, but the little motor that turns the water pump isn't. They sell 16V compatible electric water pumps, but...$$$. He has been using a pair ballast resistors, but they only last 1/2 season before they burn up and need replacement.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That'll just be a 12VDC motor I can't believe it won't run on 16VDC. Does it overheat? That'd be about the only reason it couldn't run on 16VDC.

I'd look for a higher power resistor with the same resistance. Go to your local surplus places that sell electronics. When paralleling resistors of equal value, the total resistance is the individual resistance divided by the number of resistors. What this means is get more resistors with a little higher resistance and parallel them all up till you get the same resistance as the 2 balast resistors.

The easiest solid-state way is with a linear regulator. There're fairly current limited though and dropping 4V is hardly enough for current boosting transistors.

Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter F. (edited 07-05-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, the problem is that it burns up the motor that drives the water pump. He was using parrelled ballasts from a Mopar ignition syste, but I guess the current draw was too high and those eventually overheated. John, a voltage regulator sounds like a good idea. Do you think a stock GM regulator would do the job? The kind that is used on an early Chevy for cars that used alternators with external voltage regulators? I don't know if the regulator in my 70' Chevelle could handle 16 volts input??

Jim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jim
The term "regulator" can mean different things. A car regulator is a device that controls the alternator output. From the sound of things you don't have an alternator or want one.
The regulator Peter and I refered to is an electronic component. If you don't want to use ballast resistors, you need a circuit of some kind to drop the voltage. I did a quick net search and found a 12 volt 3 amp circuit. This may not be enough for your motor.
12 volts is a some what common output. Search around. Someome may produce a high current voltage dropping circuit in a box that you can hang under the hood.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Jim

look on page 136 in your summit catalog at a Turbo Start battery.It has 3 posts,one post is negative,one post is 12 volts and one is 16 volts.

he could run the 12 volt accessories off one post and start the car with the 16 volt side.

Brandon

[This message has been edited by RatONaStick (edited 07-06-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks guys. He will have to find higher rated ballasts or possibly the 16VRES talked about here>>> 16 volt to 12 volt resistor He already has the battery, but it is not the 3 post design. That sure would have made the whole deal a bit less comlpicated, huh?

Thanks again,
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts