Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the windstar fan conversion over the winter, and I'm looking for reccomendations on a specific or general place to get a durable, 3 wire, internally regulated 140 amp alternator.
Who makes the best ones? Or should I just call summit and get a powermaster 140 amp?
I've seen a few around-- the delco-remmy 140 amp, the powermaster-- any thoughts or experience with a good reliable one, especially one that makes enough juice at low rpms to power the fan and stereo?

Matt

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The mid 90's Olds Silohettes with the 3.8 and rear air have a 140 amp alt, but you need an electrical connector adapter to use it. On this site, there is a tech article to swap in a CS 130 alt from late model GM cars/.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to follow up, I have an internally reg'd alternator put on by the local auto electric guy. I kept blowing fusible links and then replaced the old 60-whatever amp with a generic rebuilt one that was internally reg'd. He said it was like '74 up GM pass car, making anywhere from 70 amps to whatever, but there is no way to be sure.
Does that count as CS 130 series type alternators? The wiring I can figure out, I just don't want any trouble with brackets.

Matt

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
In all honesty, if you are only adding the fans as a big electrical load you only need a 100A alternator. The car operates on a 63A alternator already and you can probably add 10-15A of load to that one without any worries so adding about 30A for the fans means you need a 93A alternator.

If you are adding a big electric fuel pump (the small ones only draw 5A or so) and ignition boxes and a big stereo and some other stuff then yes, a 140A alternator may be the best for you.

Look at http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml You can get a 94A 12SI which is a bolt in replacement. The CS is close but the ears are a little different and the pulley has to be replaced.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts