Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1964 Malibu dash wiring questions.

I'm making a ground harness for my new monster gauges so all the gauge lights will have a common ground.

I have a single 12v source for three of the smaller gauges & again a single 12v source for the large gauges. The 12v source is from existing factory bulb leads that would have pluged into the stock dash. I just cut the bulb connector off and soldered a new plug on
to connect to the 12v side of the gauge lights.

Anything wrong with this set up.

Also added 12v LED lamps for my high beam and flasher indicators, which use the same single 12v source as the big gauges.

Everythin is out of the car anything-wrong bench testing the gauge lights using a 12v-battery charger as the voltage source.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Rob
If you using the dash lamp circuit to power a couple extra bulbs, you should be ok. The rheostat or the lamp dimmer should handle it.
If you are using the dash lamp circuit (gray wire) for the gages, this isn't right. The dimmer can't handle it and it won't give you 12 volts to the gages. The dimmer varies the voltage to the gray bulb wire. Better to run a fused line down to the fuse block for the new gages.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Most battery chargers are a poor choice for bench testing. This is because they usually have no regulating circuitry or capacitors inside to filter the ripple off of the rectification circuitry. So what you get out is a rather 'noise' & 'spikey' output even though a meter will not show it. Testing simple incandescent lamps won't be a problem, but you may shorten the life of your LED indicators without good power supply filtering.

Also, I'm assuming these LED indicators have built in current limiting resistors?? If not you'll need those as well.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast reply. Answers to both replys

1. John yes I'm using the gray wires for lighting the gauges. I'm putting mor than on gauge on a gray wire. Headlighe swith will control will control the brightness. The gauges will use the regular house wiring or new circut which ever is required.

2. Coppertop for 12v DC the LED does not require a limiting resistor thre was a table on the box for other voltage which would require a resistor.

PS Now can I use the battery charger or not.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
For quick checks of the lighting, I don't see a problem, but if you are really into the testing/troubleshooting and custom building stuff I highly suggest you buy a qualitly bench-top regulated 12 volt DC power supply.

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 05-28-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sprinter, I stopped by Radio Shack not much inventory for inexpensive power supplys. $99.00 was the least expensive. Would one of those 12v 1500MA chargers work. There about $13.00. If It cut the plug off and separate the wire so you would have a + -??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts