Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I just put in a new motor and MSD/HEI distributor. I am having a devil of a time finding a 12v source that doesn't go away when I crank the motor. Does anybody have a referance or definate wire in the harness that will work? If I hook up straight to battery, it works. Of course it won't turn off until I disconnect from battery.
Thanks everyone. Love this site!
Pete

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Year?? The older ones tend to drop 12 volts in the START position. If that's the problem tie the yellow wire from the solenoid back to HEI B+.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is 1972 Chevelle, 355, turbo 350, MSD HEI ignition. If I'm understanding right, I can connect a 14 gauge wire from R side of Solenoid to B+ of my HEI, as well as a wire from Ign terminal on fuse panel. The fuse panel wire is the one that cuts out when cranking. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Almost sounds like a switch problem on that car but yes to attaching both wires to HEI B+. The wire from solenoid "R" will provide power to the HEI in the START position. In RUN the IGN wire will provide the power, so you will need both. One way to get it to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are we talking about the starter R post? I ask because my wire for standard HEI burnt off 2 years ago and I am going to try to put it back on today.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by txboozer:
Are we talking about the starter R post? I ask because my wire for standard HEI burnt off 2 years ago and I am going to try to put it back on today.
I’ll try and clarify. In the original post phipwood didn’t show the year of the car so I gave the answer a shot. Later he said it was a 72. The 69 and upper years use an ignition switch mounted on the top of the column. A good working switch has a hot IGN terminal in START and RUN. Chevy switched to HEI in the early 70s but used the same ignition switch well into the late 80s. Maybe beyond. So, the car will have a terminal that is hot in START and RUN. Otherwise the factory installed HEI wouldn’t work on later year Chevys.
Hooking up the yellow wire from the starter/solenoid “R” terminal won’t hurt anything. With a good switch it shouldn’t be necessary but won’t hurt. The yellow will have 12 volts from the solenoid as long as the ignition switch is in START position. When the key is released the starter/solenoid stops applying 12 volts to the “R” terminal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Victory! Car started like a champ. Matter of fact, I found the wire that was attached to the R side of solenoid had a break inside the insulation. I fixed that, connected to MSD, and the secondary to Ign source on fuse panel. Started first time, headers uncorked, AHHHHHH, music to my ears. Thanks again for the help. Taking it out for a trial run today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts