Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I pick up my 12v for the electric choke from the positive side of the coil? I have 12v running there from the Ignition terminal on the fuse box to accomodate the Petronix distributor. Just trying to eliminate one more wire thru the firewall or cutting into my harness.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No you may not. Run another wire from the ignition fuse in the box. Never use the + side of the coil for anything else.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
hot lead for the wipers works and is convenient. ive also used the charge light circuit wire to the alt. this method only has power when the engine is running so you can have the key on without the choke opening. or you could use the 1st method with an oil press switch

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
No you may not. Run another wire from the ignition fuse in the box. Never use the + side of the coil for anything else.
Absolutely true--if you've still got the "points-style" resistor wire.
Not particularly true for HEI "battery voltage" style ignitions.

hot lead for the wipers works and is convenient. ive also used the charge light circuit wire to the alt. this method only has power when the engine is running so you can have the key on without the choke opening. or you could use the 1st method with an oil press switch
Yeah, recommended. Then route the power through an oil pressure switch so there's no power to the choke coil if the engine stalls during warm-up.

The three-terminal oil pressure switches are very convenient, inexpensive, and common. One terminal for the existing oil light on the dash, two remaining terminals that are connected only when the switch "sees" oil pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.