Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to convert my alternator to a 12SI tomorrow in preparation for electric fans. I've read the tech archive but still have a few questions.

I know I run the #1 terminal to the positive terminal on the battery, the Bat terminal to the battery, and the #2 terminal to the idiot light (brown wire I think). Is the wire for the idiot light at the existing alternator connector, or at the external voltage regulator?

After wiring the new alternator up to the idiot light wire, do you simply unplug and remove the external voltage regulator and insulate the now unused wires at the old regulator connector?

Thanks for the assistance.

[This message has been edited by Gokou (edited 09-20-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gokou:
I'm going to convert my alternator to a 12SI tomorrow in preparation for electric fans. I've read the tech archive but still have a few questions.

I know I run the #1 terminal to the positive terminal on the battery, the Bat terminal to the battery, and the #2 terminal to the idiot light (brown wire I think). Is the wire for the idiot light at the existing alternator connector, or at the external voltage regulator?

The way the tech reference article shows you connect the two wires at the regulator. The reason you do this is the old regulator connected those two wires inside. When you unplug the regulator you break that connection.

After wiring the new alternator up to the idiot light wire, do you simply unplug and remove the external voltage regulator and insulate the now unused wires at the old regulator connector?

Sounds good. You can take the regulator out or leave it in as long as it's unplugged. You do know you have to change the alternator connector? The old one won't plug in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 09-20-2002).]

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, sorry, but I'm still a little fuzzy. Here was my plan, I'd appreciate if you (or anyone else) could tell me if I have this right.

On the new 12SI alternator:

1. Run an 8ga wire from the Bat terminal to the distribution block on the core support in front of the battery.

2. Run a 14ga fusible link from the #2 terminal on the back of the alternator to the Bat terminal on the alternator (in effect connecting it to the battery.)

3. Run another wire from the #1 terminal on the alternator to the brown wire at the external voltage regulator (terminal #4 on the voltage regulator).

4. Disconnect/remove the voltage regulator and tape off the wires which used to go to terminals #1,2 and 3 on the voltage regulator.

Do I have it right?

I am aware I'll need a new connector for the SI alternator, I already have one. I just wanted to run my wiring by a few people to verify I had it right before I jump in and do this.

[This message has been edited by Gokou (edited 09-21-2002).]

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the different way if you don't mind me asking?

When you said the tech article said "connect 2 wires at the regulator" you had me scratching my head... the tech archive I read didn't say a word about the regulator.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link, that's a different one than I read. I see the point of the jumpers at the old regulator now, to use the factory wiring harness running to the alternator without running new wires (my plan).

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
1. Run an 8ga wire from the Bat terminal to the distribution block on the core support in front of the battery.

It would be better to run the 8 GA alt output to the horn relay. Connect the new fans there also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts