Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guy's,
I ran my 71 on the chassis dyno tonight and found I have a problem. The engine pulled like a freight train up until 4900 rpm's (311 hp)then just died. We finally found the problem. When I bought the car the distributor had been changed to an HEI. However, they never changed the ignition wiring. The ignition wire is still the resistance wire used for a points setup. My question is..... where can I find a 12 volt source that is ignition switch controlled. I have plenty of room in the fuse box, I just need a little direction.

Thanks,

Steve Haraway
1971 SS396

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick,
However, this morning I look at my fuse panel and I do not have a fuse marked ING. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Steve Haraway
1971 SS396

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
Using a test light find one that is only on when the ignition is in the run and most importantly in the start position. I like to run a 12 ga wire with solid or soldered connections.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Replace the resistance wire AT THE SAME BULKHEAD TERMINAL with a standard 14 gauge wire. I used a small side cutter to remove the resistance wire from the connector, and resoldered the connector to the new wire. Looks stock. Don't have to run a wire through the firewall.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Originally posted by rick:
At the IGN fuse on your fuse panel. 14 ga wire I believe will do it for you. Just tape off the 2 wires coming from the starter.
Which two wires coming off of the starter? I have been meaning to do this on my 66 and will be getting into it this weekend.
I am replacing the positive cable, so I figure what the heck.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
Only one wire coming from the starter can be eliminated Jake, the yellow by pass wire that fed from the Starter's "R" terminal to the old coil's + terminal is the only one you can do without.

The other of the two wires (purple on the "S" terminal) is needed to energize the solenoid.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Personally I would leave the yellow wire on the solenoid and just tape it up on the other end. Too may cars have problems getting power from the ignition switch in START. You may need that wire in the end.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Personally I would leave the yellow wire on the solenoid and just tape it up on the other end. Too may cars have problems getting power from the ignition switch in START. You may need that wire in the end.
Good idea, it can't hurt anything and just might come in handy some day.

Hey I just had an idea

If you piggy back the yellow wire on the "S" terminal with the purple wire it would come in handy as a remote starter or test wire.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Dean:

Hey I just had an idea

If you piggy back the yellow wire on the "S" terminal with the purple wire it would come in handy as a remote starter or test wire.

That it would but only if the car's been converted to HEI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts