Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going from a 12 bolt rear end to a 9" Ford rear end. Any advise on a good supplier for a rear end housing that will bolt in ? Will also be going to disk brakes so the housing will need to be set up for that. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
1965 Chevelle
173 Posts
We are going from a 12 bolt rear end to a 9" Ford rear end. Any advise on a good supplier for a rear end housing that will bolt in ? Will also be going to disk brakes so the housing will need to be set up for that. Thanks for any information.
Quick performance is great, really good product made in Ames, Iowa and great price. I looked at all the usual suspects and QP couldn't be beat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello.

I‘ve bought my 9“ rear end with eaton truetrac from Quick Performance too and i am very happy with it, only drum brakes-but disc brakes are no Problem there. Many options to choose, not expensive.
Only 6000 Miles this Summer, but no leaks or issuses yet.
Easy to install, only sway bar was a little tricky...

Greets Andi

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Quick Performance 9 inch here as well. No issues. Was cheaper to sell the 12 bolt and take that cash and buy a done 9 inch then to build the 12 bolt.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
What is the stock reference vehicle for the 11" drum brakes that Quick Performance uses on their rear ends?

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Quick Performance here too. You can get GM ends on it as well, and the GM disc brake set ups will bolt on...

The one that just arrived is set up to bolt on 98-02 Camaro rear disks. Had them build it 2" shorter, braced, new housing, drain/fill, heavy wall tube, and new housing; it's impressive.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I'll second the nomination for a Strange rear.

I suggest you consider narrowing it a bit, say 2" total. You'll be able to later space wheels out to where you need them. This makes it easier later to get wide tires. Also consider 1/2"-20 studs.

Make sure it has the large bearing axle flanges and large fill and drain plugs in the rear face.

After you get it, setup your brakes and lines BEFORE installing the rear into the car. I've seen weld on hose end tabs, much nicer than a hose clamp around the tube.

Not sure your wheel size but Wilwood makes a 4 piston kit that fits a stock 15" wheel with the parking brake in the hat. It works well.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have been running the 12 bolt in a 3,400 lb BBC N/A 67 Chevelle. Running low 5.80's with a 1.26 60' for years and have not had any ring gear problems. But a couple of months ago we twisted a MW hi-torque axle between the bearing and the flange and the tire came off the car. So it is time to go 9" with big bearing ends. We will be running 15" wheels and would like to run the biggest disk brakes that will fit. Thanks for the input.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,010 Posts
as mentioned, QP offers good parts at non-boutique prices. Check carefully before buying unless your wallet is just toooo heavy to carry around.

Being able to get it in any width your want is cool. 2" narrow allows to run a good looking wheel with more dish. More than that be careful.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Happy with my S60 from Strange
added in stuff to ensure it would be strong internally (Eaton Tru Trac/Worm Gears) and last long
eg. 11" Drum Brakes / Ford ends / larger studs / Chrome Molley Pinion / LPW Cover
they have lots of options for Brakes etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QP we have 2 of there 9" complete bolt in. Used one on my 70 ordered it for 67 width housing. I also got the drain plug, multi mount points for lower control arms. I could not use stock lower control arms when I ordered it with 67 width had to use UMI ones that were adjustable. You may also want to consider the longer rear yoke they offer, especially for a automatic trans, you may not have to replace your drive shaft, with longer rear yoke. And get the longer 1/2" 3" wheel studs or the 5/8" ones depends on your rims. I put in ARP case to chuck bolts did not like there hardware provided. Have a access hole on the axels makes axel removal easier. I went for the Moser axle options 40 spline and a full spool , 70 driven to go get groceries. Other 9" in my sons 78 Elco. Get the big ford ends and sealed green bearings, Step up to the Moser nodular iron case or the aluminium bolt thru one is better if budget allows and saves 15 LBS. Also the 3" tubes. They set up there gears very nice. You get the complete rear in pieces, chuck, axels, brakes. Fast delivery. Can't help you on the disc setup I went with the drum brakes, used my 12 bolt emergency brake cables went right in to the ford backing plates. When I buy replacement brake shoes I use the 70's Torino with 9" for reference part. Got a very good buck for my orginal 12 bolt posi, paid for the 9" with sale. Hope this help you some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.