Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this subject has been discussed on this site before, but I don't have hours to search through old post looking for the information I need. If this post is not suitable, just delete it.
I need a 12 bolt rear end for a 70 Chevelle. I believe that Chevelle 68-72 are the same. Can anyone tell me the years that a Monte Carlo 12 bolt would be identical? Also, is it true that the 70 Chevelle 12 bolt measures 61.5" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and 55.5" between the backing plates? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
I'm sure this subject has been discussed on this site before, but I don't have hours to search through old post looking for the information I need. If this post is not suitable, just delete it.
I need a 12 bolt rear end for a 70 Chevelle. I believe that Chevelle 68-72 are the same. Can anyone tell me the years that a Monte Carlo 12 bolt would be identical? Also, is it true that the 70 Chevelle 12 bolt measures 61.5" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and 55.5" between the backing plates? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
yes:Chevelle 68-72 are the same.

years that a Monte Carlo 12 bolt 70-72 are the same as Chevelle 68-72:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
...I need a 12 bolt rear end for a 70 Chevelle. I believe that Chevelle 68-72 are the same.

Usually harder to find and often a little more expensive, but a 65-67 12-bolt will bolt in directly...

They are 1" narrower overall (1/2" on each side), but the reduced length is all outboard of the suspension pick up points... So its still a direct bolt-in...

Of course, the early rear will also bring the wheels in 1/2" on each side.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
make sure you don't end up buying a Olds 12 bolt, if your new to this stuff it's a easy mistake to make. And there are a few sellers that will play dumb and try to pass off their mistake on to the next guy.

if the rear is bolted to a A body 64-72 no telling what the rear actually came from since these parts could have been swapped years ago. my last 12 bolt came out of a 1970 cutlass, turns out someone installed a 66 chevelle 12 bolt posi in it and the guy wanted to car correct so installed a olds 12 bolt and sold the chevelle rear. jim

Reactions: 1966_L78

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
make sure you don't end up buying a Olds 12 bolt, if your new to this stuff it's a easy mistake to make. And there are a few sellers that will play dumb and try to pass off their mistake on to the next guy.
get some pictures on-line... the Chevrolet/Chevelle 12-bolt cover has the inverted "V" stamped into it, to guide the gear lube...

I's also pick up a Chevy car 12-bolt gasket, since the "Olds" 12-bolt has a different pattern/spacing... As you are probably aware, make sure it has the upper ears. I have seen Impala rears advertised as "Chevelle", etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts