Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I bought a cheapie Summit 25 dollar 12 bolt diff cover a handful of years ago when I rebuilt a junkyard 12 bolt. It has a slow leak around it and it is about impossible to get to the filler plug on the rear diff to check the level. So I'm thinking of upgrading to a nicer diff cover that it would make it easy to check fluid level. I have decided I want one of these two (see links below). The trick flow one is cheaper, but the "fill" plug seems very low. Is it just me or does this seem too low, especially compared to the other diff cover with the "fill" plug much higher. Anyone have experience with either of these?
Trick Flow:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-8510200/?rtype=10
Perfect Launch:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-69502/?rtype=10

·
Registered
12,043 Posts
I can't say on either cover. I have the LPW cover, and there is no LEVEL indicator. It has a fill and a drain. Level is still checked by the housing.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If anything, Id bet the trick flow is closer to the actually fill level. If you look at the actual fill plug on the side of the housing in reference to the axle tube,....its nearer the lower half of the tube.

The support through the center of that diff cover should be pretty well in line with the center of the axle tubes....so the fill being located slightly below that is probably pretty well on par with where it should be.

If its too low its a problem....but with the other one, its high enough that your probably still gonna need to pull the actual fill plug in the diff to make sure the level is right and you're not too full.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Guys,
I bought a cheapie Summit 25 dollar 12 bolt diff cover a handful of years ago when I rebuilt a junkyard 12 bolt. It has a slow leak around it and it is about impossible to get to the filler plug on the rear diff to check the level. So I'm thinking of upgrading to a nicer diff cover that it would make it easy to check fluid level. I have decided I want one of these two (see links below). The trick flow one is cheaper, but the "fill" plug seems very low. Is it just me or does this seem too low, especially compared to the other diff cover with the "fill" plug much higher. Anyone have experience with either of these?
Trick Flow:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-8510200/?rtype=10
Perfect Launch:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-69502/?rtype=10
Say what ya will....at $150 for those things I think a nice dent free, painted GM 12 bolt cover would be just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Be careful of the fill-hole on aftermarket covers. I had the ring & pinion changed on my 69 which has a Moser cover, and the technician filled the level to the fill hole in the Moser cover. The first pass I made down the dragstrip, about 2 quarts of 80W-90 went all over the bottom of my fuel tank, rear bumper, trunk pan, etc. I pulled the factory drain plug, and another near quart ran out. It was massively overfilled.

Same thing happened to Bill Burke with the same Moser cover and the same mechanic.

JMHO, but the best thing would be an aftermarket cover with a DRAIN hole, and use the factory fill hole for filling.

·
Administrator
17,187 Posts
As posted ,be careful on the fill level with any aftermarket cover.
You can fill through it's fill port but use the original fill plug port for your fill level.
Don't forget to put both plugs back in ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Say what ya will....at $150 for those things I think a nice dent free, painted GM 12 bolt cover would be just fine.
When I bought the rear end it didn't have a cover. That is 4 years ago and I went through it all and bought a cheapie summit special, but she has a slow leak. I figured, I might as well get something I can trust to hold a seal better. Plus I admit, I like the looks.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
When I bought the rear end it didn't have a cover. That is 4 years ago and I went through it all and bought a cheapie summit special, but she has a slow leak. I figured, I might as well get something I can trust to hold a seal better. Plus I admit, I like the looks.
Clearly your choice. For me I would not see $150 worth of benefit in the parts when I could be on the road w/ o leaks most likely for about $10.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
not completely without benefit. The aluminum construction probably dissipates heat better, and the bolt holes for the bearing cap "supports" I guess you could call them probably help minimize any "deflection" under hard abuse.

I wouldnt call these things necessary in all applications...but if you're going to be giving the differential a good workout on a regular basis, and especially if you're got some power to put to it.... it may end up helping the thing live longer.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
not completely without benefit. The aluminum construction probably dissipates heat better, and the bolt holes for the bearing cap "supports" I guess you could call them probably help minimize any "deflection" under hard abuse.

I wouldnt call these things necessary in all applications...but if you're going to be giving the differential a good workout on a regular basis, and especially if you're got some power to put to it.... it may end up helping the thing live longer.
I guess..possibly they do help the rear a little. Necessary .. I am with you on that point. I think geneally speaking this type of product goes in the eye candy / bling category. If someone wants to run one that is sure OK. I just got to where I always ask myself ...is this really worth the extra money? Considering the cost of a stock piece at say $15 and some paint plus elbow grease...$150 / $20 =7X the cost. I cant get comfortable with that return on my money.

As I said that is me..just my way of looking at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts