Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was concidering buying a 12 boltrear end that somone had for sale at a local swapmeet. It is equiped with 4:11 gears, wich is way lower than I want,I wanted somthing closer to 3:73s or higher 3:31s. He is asking $800.00 for the rear end ( more than I want to pay). Anyway I heard that the carrier is differnt if I wanted to change to a higher ring and pinion? He said the rear end is out of a 71 Chevelle,,,,I was gona use it in a 68 El Cam. Comments anyone? Thanks .......... Loner

·
Registered
740 Posts
dude thats a bad deal
i bought a 12 bolt 4.11 posi for 100 dollars a 3.73 for 80 dollars and a 4.10 for about 90 so don't pay 800 dollars for it they are cheaper in jegs and stuff just got your local junk yard they will normally give you deals

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Gumbali68Malibu thanks for the reallity check! I will admit though that I have checked with a few junkyards in my area So Calif,and have yet to find a 12 bolt posi rear for My 68 Elk,,,,,,,but I WILL keep looking. Thanks again Joe..aka Loner

·
Registered
335 Posts
Take a look at the ring gear. IF there is a 1/4 inch spacer you can re-gear the diff. Very common to use the spacer to make a 4;11 in these. Offer the guy about 350-400 for it if you really need the 12 bolt. A 12 bolt 3;70 or so gear is getting pretty rare these days. tom

·
Registered
100 Posts
Finding a 12-bolt posi for 100$ is a pretty unlikely thing also. I called around in the phone book to about 30 speed shops asking if onyone had one or knew somebody. Eventully I found a guy who had on still in his 65 chevelle parts car. It was a non-posi and I got the whole thing for 200$ (he took it out) which is more realistic. Call some speed shops, as they often have parts around, or know someone who does.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I wouldnt take gumballs prices to heart, I have been dealing with chevelle parts for years and a 3:31 posi rear complete usually goes for no less than $400, a 3:73 will get $500..and most people ask more than that. Non posi rears are easily worth $200. These are prices for used rears ready to use, but if its a rebuilt rear $800 is not out of line.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well i haven't paid more then 120 dollars for a 12 bolt but i normally don't goto junk yards but i just find people that used to run cars and they normally just want it out of the yard

·
Registered
336 Posts
The next time someone sees a 12 bolt, posi 4.11 gears for sale for $100 BUY IT and i'll double your money. Then i'll sell it for double that.

I think you get the point...

if its aftermarket 4.11's and a tight posi, and the thing is in good condition that might not be such a bad deal... a little on the high side id say but if it comes drum to drum, with trailing arms, etc then id say its definately worth thinking about..

also if it comes with trailing arms, you would then have an extra set to test your welding skills when you box them.

in case you were wondering- the '71 housing will fit perfect in your '68.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have an open carrier with 3.31 gears out of my 70 if you would be interested in the ring and pinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.