Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I I.D. a 12 bolt from a 10 bolt? I'm looking at a 69 SS this weekend and want to make sure it's a 12 bolt rear end. Also, how can I tell if its posi without removing the cover? Bear with me, it's been 25 years since the last time I needed this info. Help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The 12 bolt has 12 bolts holding the cover on the 10 bolt has 10 holding it on, kneel down behind the car and have a look they are easily visible from the back. Also for a quick look, if you look at just the bottom edge of the rear the 12's will have 2 bolts at the bottom the 10's will have 1.(although since you're goin to buy I would advise to get under there to look for rusty floors anyway) Must warn ya though once you see what I'm saying every old Chevy you see(that you're behind) you'll catch yourself lookin to see if the car has a 10 or a 12!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
38 Posts
John, to ID the axle , you'll need to bring some carb cleaner and a rag. The code is located on the front of the axle tube(facing the engine)on the passenger side.Maybe a towel to lay on is a good idea too.You'll need a list of posi and non posi codes with u to be efficient...good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
If you're under it anyway, while its on stands, turn one of the rear wheels. If its a posi, the other one will turn in the same direction, if not a posi it will turn in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
105 Posts
John,

Listen to SKOTEEEEE!!
Not all 12 bolt covers are chevy. The Olds 442 used a 12 bolt housing with a 10 bolt carrier inside. That and other BOP rears bolt right up to a chevelle. Check for those ID codes! If it isn't chevy the codes will be missing.

[This message has been edited by garyB (edited 10-12-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Gary-
You are very correct about the BOP 12 bolt cover with a 10 bolt carrier. I just wanted to let people know, my method was for identifying Chevy rears.(I guess I'm just spoiled having such an unmolested car, I had forgotten about the BOP 12-10 rear!)
(I'm seriously sorry if I took your post in the wrong way, maybe its just today.
)

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
85 Posts
I kinda differ with "If it isn't chevy the codes will be missing."

All OTHER GM divisions ALSO marked their rear ends in a similar manner as Chevrolet.

Actually the rear ends (Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, etc) were built at probably the same plants.. W - Warren or B - Buffalo and there were others as well.

Thanks.

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.