Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy alls :) I am tryin to get a guy to sell me a 11'' Cast aluminum GM bellhousing, it comes with the cluch. He said it fits a BB and would fit a SB also...is this true? He hasnt set a price on it yet but it is a full bellhousing, ( not cut away on the bottom). I allready puchased a 70 M20, and a 12 bolt ( non possi) rear end from him, at a fair price.... I currently have a Lakewood bellhousing, but was kinda thinkin that mabey the Stock GM housing would be worth getting??? Any coments on what it is worth guys???? Thanks Tintop55 P.S. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you mean 11" clutch? I guess I've seen a lot of GM bell housings for maybe $20-$30 at swap meets, but if you have a lakewood version, I would definitely use it! Safety first!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SSteve,Yes I did mean an 11" cluch and bellhousing, The seller kinda acted like it was a valuable part,, he kept sayin the Big block stuff is gettin hard to find..... I read somewhere that when using a Lakewood bellhousing,, that You have to make sure that it is indexed properly...wich basicly looses me alltogether! Im having a bad vibration problem at the shifter at 65+ mph. I thought mabey,,just mabey , that the Lakewood housing that is on My car could be part of the problem????? that IS why I was concidering on buying the GM 11' housing... have I confused You enough yet? any and all comments are appreiciated on this!!!! Thanks again Tintop55

------------------

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Whether you use it or not, you should get it. The bell housings for an 11in clutch (which requires the larger 14in dia flywheel) are, in fact, becoming more scarce at the swap meets, although the prices are still quite reasonable. And yes, it will fit a SB. You can always switch a small flywheel/bell housing on any Chev V-8 over to the larger flywheel/bellhousing which allows you to use the larger 11in clutch. Of course you also have to change the starter or at least the starter nose to one with the diagonal bolt pattern.
Make sure this is not a truck bell housing that he is trying to sell you (which will work). The truck bell housings are a dime a dozen and the bottom is different than the large bell housing for a car. The bottom of the large car bell housing is all curved. the bottom of a truck bell housing is flat or more cylindrical rather than curved. People can't give away truck bell housings, except to those poor souls who don't know what one is. You should be able to buy a truck bell housing for less than $10 and a good car large bell housing for $25-40. At the Chickasha swap meet in Oct, I bought one just to have a spare for $22. So, I would say, if the price is good, get it.
The vibration or buzzing in your shifter handle is generally an indication of the rear main bearing (not the bushing at the rear of the tail housing) of the transmission going bad. You can still run it like this for a long time, but the vibration will just get worse in time.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DZAuto, Thanks for the information! :) As usuall Your replys are great! I was wondering would it be asking too much if I could call You sometime? I do have a few more questions on Muncies ect. and allways seem to have a hard time explaining Myself at the Chevelle post. Anyway it was just a thought OK if You would prefer You can call Me anytime in the evening (collect would be fine) :) or mabey You could E-mail me sometime? Thanks Alot, Tom ..Joe aka...... [email protected] home phone 1 562 925-2355

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Anyone can call or email anytime. I'm usually home by 5pm central time and ALWAYS up until at least 11, usually 12-1. So don't worry about calling late. I'm in/out on weekends. Now that my "room mate" has allowed me to have the big garage and she has her big kitchen, I'm always out there doing something. I have 2 phones, heat and air, and cable TV in the garage. So I'm home and happy.

Oh yes, I forgot, my phone is 405-745-8383.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 11-29-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.