Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 100 amp external alternator that I bought by mistake, thought it was a 100 amp 10si
Is it worth the extra money to get rid of this one and get a 10si or 12si? The shop I got it from said that the new solid state externals dont have problems like the old ones but I was just curious what everyone else thought.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What's a new solid state external? Does he mean to add a solid state regulator? Your alternator will work but somebody is feeding a line.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes John, sorry should have been more clear. He said to use a new solid state external regulator. He said he never heard of anyone having any problems with them or the older ones. Which is kind of funny since I know my friend with his 70 velle has blown a few of the older ones.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What he's talking about is a Wells solid state regulator Part Number VR715. Autozone has them for about $12.00. Disconnect the battery before installing it. Make sure that its mounting feet are grounded well. Make sure that the ground wire from battery (-) to the right inside fender is in good shape. Have one on my 64.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't confuse a high output alternator with a regulator. Not the same thing.
One reason some guys change to a solid state is to get rid of pulsing lights or a pulsing voltage at low RPM. The solid state switches much faster than a mechanical relay and holds the alternator voltage more stabile. Much like the solid state regulators that are built into the 10 and 12SI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts