Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma. I have a big block 69 Chevelle that blew out the stock 10 bolt posi. I must now decide whether to rebuild or replace. From what I understand the 10 bolt I have is the 8.2 (8.5 were in 70 and later). The engine is making somewhere around 500 hp with plans to swap a set of aluminum heads on next winter. I know the 12 bolt is stronger, but could the 10 bolt hold up if built right? If so what make of products should go into it and of course financially, which would be easier on the old wallet to build. I'll be doing the labor myself so parts will be all I have to purchase. The car will be seeing little track use and will be street driven primarily (weather permitting here in NJ). I'm thinking a 3.55 gear would be fine but feel free to throw in your .02 on that as well. Thanks from any and all that can help.

Dominic

·
Registered
336 Posts
tell us more about the car.. what tranny, what gears did you have before, and do you care about gas mileage?

also, i figure rebuilding a 10 bolt with good stuff including a new posi carrier, gears, and axles plus the little stuff you need would cost more than buying a good 12 bolt..
and if you broke it once, chances are good it will happen again. With 500hp i wouldnt be caught dead with a 10 bolt but thats my opinion....

another team chevelle member sold me a very nice 12 bolt, safety hubs, upper & lower control arms, poly bushings, no hop bars, richmond 4.56 gears, complete drum to drum ready to bolt up for $600 if that is a good ballpark figure..

mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car had a 3.31 posi rear and the trans is a TH400 with shift kit. I'm not concerned about gas mileage as I am only getting 8 mpg right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can find a 12 bolt deal like Mr. Reeh described, I would consider it a bargin! Around here and open carrier 12 bolt for a chevelle goes for $250, usually less drums. If you buy a posi, gears, a set of hipo axels, no hop bars, and so on you can see how much you can get invested. But why put the same money in an 10 bolt? I doubt you could recover your investment in the same way you can a 12 bolt. I think a legitimate alternative may be the 9" kits from Currie or Chris Alston. With 500 hp it may be better insurance if you are going to really pound it! Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.