Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to tell an 8.2 in. ten bolt from an 8.5 in. ten bolt without pulling the cover off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
SS - I've been told that an 8.2 inch rearend has an 1 1/8" pinion nut and an 8.5 inch rearend has an 1 1/4" pinion nut. Any you guys out there think otherwise. I'm interested also, because I plan on putting on in my '67 convt. I got this info from a rep of Richmond Gears. SS - also Chevy only put these in Chevelles in late '72 models, then in '73 they were standard. They may be longer than the rearend you currently have, so check the dimensions of your spring purches and you can offset the axle length by using a different wheel offset. I plan on doing the same. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had read somewhere that one of the covers has a "V" shape on it and one does not and that's the best way to tell. I don't know which one has the "V" but maybe this will get you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe that the Chevy 8.2" 10-bolt has the "v" or ripple in it, but the BOP 8.2" does not. The 8.5" 10-bolt does not have it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help all. BEAST72 is probably right since the rearends that I have seen that I know to be 8.2's have the V in the cover and the ones that I know to be 8.5's do not. I am just not 100% sure whether they were all this way (maybe one style could have been both ways). Anyone know?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.