Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently undertaking a full frame-off restoration of my(my fathers) 1969 chevelle convertible. It has a 10 bolt rear end, and the parts car('69 ss396 less front end) has a 12 bolt on it. I do not know much about what I have to do, but would it be a difficult task to switch the 10 bolt for a 12 bolt?

------------------

·
Registered
150 Posts
Joey:
No it isn't a real hard job to switch out the housings. A good idea while you're doing it would be to change all the control arm bushings, which can be difficult. Chances are that the original ones are tired and worn out. PST has polygraphite rear bushing sets available for $100 a set, or stock rubber ones for $80 a set. Contact them at:
www.p-s-t.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joey - I just finished doing the same thing on my 69 Chevelle. You should have no problem switching from a 10 to a 12 bolt rear end. Everything should line up perfectly assuming both rears are from a 69 Chevelle (actually any Chevelle rear between 68-72 should work). As Scooter had mentioned, you might want to get new control arms or replace the control arm bushings. I didn't because mine weren't in too bad of shape. Good Luck....

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I have not done this myself, but reading in earlier posts suggests that the U-joint must be changed to the larger style and that the propshaft is shorter for the 12 bolt. Probably getting the propshaft out of the car with the 12 bolt would do the trick.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What trans. are you using? I think turbo 350 and 400 have different output shafts. Maybe someone else will tell us.

Just checked (because I found it) my spec. sheet. Powerglide / 27, 350 / 27, 400 / 32.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
The switch is straight forward. The yoke might perhaps be running a little deeper in the transmission. The backing plates and brakes are the same for both rear ends. You can use which ever pieces are in better shape. The poly-graphite bushings really tighten up the rear end and stop wheel hop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help.
As for the trans, I'm going to keep the orig powerglide for now(as per my dads request).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Joey,
Check the pinion yoke on the 12 bolt, you may have to change it. there's 2 different ones. one is for a big block, the other is for a small block. The way to tell them apart is the one for the big block has a larger u-joint.
Good luck

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.