Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this question has been answered before but I was unable to find it in a search.

I was given a 10 bolt rear out of a 78 Camaro with a posi unit. I would like to know if the carrier will fit into my 72 Chevelle 10 bolt. I know the is an 7.5" a 8.2" and a 8.5" 10 bolt, but I don't know how to ID them and what they came in. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As long as it's the same 8.5 with the same # of splines it will work. Get someone to set it up for you unless your experienced at this..

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
the 78 camaro will have the 8.5 10 bolt, that is the easy one. You may or may not have the 8.5 in your chevelle. 72 was a crossover year, where the 12 bolt was still the HD unit, but the 8.5 was being phased in to replace the 12 bolt, which it did in 73. I have had many 72 chevelles and monte carlos, and most with a 10 bolt had the 8.2 rear. I know the 8.5 was around in 70 and up camaros, but as far as chevelles 72 was the year of the changeover. Check it out to be sure because it could go either way.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
514 Posts
the way to tell if you have an 8.2 or 8.5 is the rear cover on the 8.2 should measure 11 inches and the 8.5 should have tabs under the center of the housing they should b square at the out side like a 90 degree angle…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.