Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What gage are you concerned about? The ammeter? Would it hook up in the same place? The junction block and I believe the horn relay.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.... That's kinda what I thought but wasn't sure. This is on a friend's car (65) and I assumed it would be like mine (69). Just wanted to be certain as I don't have a diagram of a '65 and he also wants to clean up all the wiring at the same time. I thought someone with a '65 has probably already been there, done that.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Dave, I replaced all the harnesses in my 65 Elky (SS gage cluster) with ones from M&H Electrical Fabricators M&H for a 1965 Malibu SS (gage cluster not idiot lights). I had the front lighting harness modified from the standard alternator/regulator to a "One wire" late model alternator mounted on the passenger side. The P/N was 09400, price $139.00 plus $10.00 for the single wire alternator modification. I also bought the engine and dash harnesses and have had no issues at all, truely a "Plug & Play" operation.

If you modify the existing harness per the Tech Ref. article here at TC, the ammeter will function normally. Hope this helps.

------------------
Dave
My 65 Elky & 2002 Camaro SS
Tri Power #1,Tri Power #2
New Richmond 5-Speed
Fan/Shroud/PRC Radiator
Richmond Road Race 5-Speed, 3.07's

·
Registered
984 Posts
I changed to a one wire in my 65 with gauges using the tech article and the ammeter works fine. If you are upgrading to a higher output alternator, you will want to replace the charging wire from the alternator to the horn relay with an 8 gauge wire, or double up the existing 10 gauge wire.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, Disc brakes, F41 suspension,
GM Performance Parts 350/330hp crate engine with serpentine belt system, electric cooling fans, Sanderson headers, 700R4, factory air with Vintage Air conversion, factory am/fm stereo, tilt wheel.
http://chevelles.com/showroom/JimN/Maliburearview0006.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts