Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy alls, well I got the pilot bearing out of My 350 SB.,, Ya I know Im slow!!! Anyway the grease packing method worked great! It was fun and it was easy ;) ( just like yalls said it would be) Acually I have 2 questions...after removing My pilot bushing I noticed some gaulling on the outer surface of the bushing, that was caused from the inner surface of the crank. ( it almost looked like somone had jammed somthing in there at one time) So umm no big deal? should I try to smooth it out a bit? (sand paper) or would it acually be better to leave it be? as I thought it might help "grip" the bushing...My 2nd question is,, when I got my trans back from the rebuilder, He said "dont drive the pilot bushing all the way home, leave it stick out aproximitly 1half inch,,then stab the trans and let the bolts ( imput shaft push it the rest of the way"..... He said then the pilot bushing would then be totally covering the nose of the imput shaft end. Oh ya one more thing,,,the bushing that was in My engine, 68 350 SB measures 3/4" of an inch long, and seemed to fit My imput shaft fairly good,snug ( I wonderd if I even needed to replace it) but..the one the rebuilder showed me looked a bit longer,,,Apx.say 1 and 1/4" long....are all small block pilot bushings the same leangth? or do they vary acording to engine ( crank ,year) size????? I know this ended up being more than one question ;) Ha ha Anyway All comments and thoughts appreicated, Guys Thanks Again Tintop55

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I have bought/replaced an untold number of pilot bushings/bearings for many years. I've only seen one length. Maybe someone has seen a different length, anybody?
If you allow the tranny input to press in the pilot bushing when you install the tranny, there will always be back pressure against the input bearing. NOT GOOD! The bushing/bearing should be installed so that the back of the bushing is even with the back of the hole in ghe crank. If you use the roller bearing rather than the bushing, it should be pressed in, rather than driven in like a bushing. The reason is because you run the risk of deforming the cage and damaging or binding the rollers. I use a harmonic balancer puller with long bolts/nuts for this. Also, if you use the bearing, PACK IT WITH PLENTY OF GREASE!

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DZ Auto, OK sounds good! I could be totally mistaken on thinking that there were differnt lengths (sizes) of Pilot (bushings/bearings). I will replace My pilot bushing, even with the end of the crank, as advised!!!! Thanks Tom Tintop55 :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.