Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed qa1 upper and lower pro touring control arms with wilwood AFX 2” drop pro spindles on my 71 chevelle. The upper control arms have a 1” longer stu

My question is, does anyone know how far apart the bottom of the ball joint and the top of the spindle should be?

I don’t have a pic of my setup right now but I found this pic online that’s exactly like mine. Is it supposed to be a 1” gap?

just want to confirm, just in case I missed anything...
E2AF9FC1-ED09-447E-B878-25500D6E4982.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Here is what the 0.9" taller ball joints look like on my UMI uppers:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Are your AFX spindles already 1" taller? Most AFX spindles are tall. Wilwood doesn't say they are tall but does say uses OE ball joints.

This is from Wilwood

Wilwood’s AFX ProSpindle Kits contain a pair of high strength steel spindles for 1964-1972 GM A Body, 1967-1969 GM F Body, 1968-1974 GM X Body vehicles that use the original bolt on steering arms. Specifically designed for use with Wilwood’s disc brake kits, with a 2.00” drop for a more aggressive stance without affecting steering geometry. With the added benefits of providing a lower center of gravity, raised front roll center and a decreased camber change also improve handling with less body roll. Installs using the OE ball joints using original or aftermarket control arms. Kit includes four steering arm bolts, two for each spindle.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are your AFX spindles already 1" taller? Most AFX spindles are tall. Wilwood doesn't say they are tall but does say uses OE ball joints.

This is from Wilwood

Wilwood’s AFX ProSpindle Kits contain a pair of high strength steel spindles for 1964-1972 GM A Body, 1967-1969 GM F Body, 1968-1974 GM X Body vehicles that use the original bolt on steering arms. Specifically designed for use with Wilwood’s disc brake kits, with a 2.00” drop for a more aggressive stance without affecting steering geometry. With the added benefits of providing a lower center of gravity, raised front roll center and a decreased camber change also improve handling with less body roll. Installs using the OE ball joints using original or aftermarket control arms. Kit includes four steering arm bolts, two for each spindle.
Slightly but I don’t know exactly how much. Also is stated after market control arms so I thought it was good to go... might be wrong?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Slightly but I don’t know exactly how much. Also is stated after market control arms so I thought it was good to go... might be wrong?
If you still have the originals you could measure both.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts