Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after over 2 decades of sitting, I managed to get my Grandpa’s Malibu started up again.
Now, I need to figure out shipping from Hawaii to SoCal.

The body and interior are a bit rough, but all there. Every body panel has rust, but not too bad (at first glance anyway). I’ll know more as I tear it down and go through the restoration. Hopefully I’ll be able to find all the replacement parts I need. 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Wheel
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Bumper Grille Automotive tire Vehicle door Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Window
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Sculpture

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,189 Posts
And so the fun begins!
Looks like a great car to bring back, and it's a family-owned car too. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: Shane 69 Hugger

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And so the fun begins!
Looks like a great car to bring back, and it's a family-owned car too. Good Luck and keep us posted!
Yes sir! Grandpa bought it new off the lot. It was originally dark green with a white top. I’ve seen pictures of it in that color combo. He repainted it sometime in the 70’s I think. To me though, it’s always been a sort of sky blue. The interior still smells the same as it always has. I can still see my Grandpa with his pompadour haircut turn around to look at me sitting in the back seat and smile. Then he’d whistle through his teeth and say, “What a handsome kid!”.

Man, I miss him! 🥲

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Being it was your grandfather's car with those awesome memories, this takes the cool factor to a whole new level. I can count the number of 1966 4 door hard tops I've seen on 3 fingers. Amazing how that motor sounds.

·
Premium Member
8,875 Posts
What's to do? A good deep cleaning, some regular maintenance, and with a critical eye, some detailing. It looks like most original details are still on the car. Awesome car! Probably couldn't put too many miles on the car in HI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What's to do? A good deep cleaning, some regular maintenance, and with a critical eye, some detailing. It looks like most original details are still on the car. Awesome car! Probably couldn't put too many miles on the car in HI.
She’s got A LOT of rusty spots. 56 years in the tropics hasn’t been easy on her. Every single panel has rust. The trunk floor on the driver side is Swiss cheese. I can put my thumb up to the palm of my hand through a rust hole in the passenger side leading edge of the hood. Every rubber seal is rotted and crumbling. Every rubber suspension part is all but completely disintegrated. The whole exhaust is rusted out. The list goes on, and on and on…

But, yes, every piece of trim is intact, except for part of the “M” on the Malibu badge on the rear passenger side fender. So, it says “Nalibu” instead. Lol

As for mileage, you’d be surprised. I found warranty cards for a set of shocks my Grandpa had installed in ‘76. The mileage stated was 78,xxx miles. The current odometer reading as of 2022 is just under 28,xxx miles.

She was my Grandpa’s daily driver, then my Mom’s 1st car, then Grandpa’s again after my Mom moved to California, then after he passed away, my Uncle’s daily to construction sites, then a vacation car when Mom took me to visit Grandma for summer and winter breaks.

I have a feeling the odometer has rolled over at least twice in the time she was on the road.

I drove the car just once when I first got my license. I was able to drive all over the island to my favorite spots. Shortly after that it didn’t pass the state safety inspection and was “retired” from service. At the time it was too costly to fix the issues, so she was parked and just sat in front of Grandma’s house where she is to this day.

I hope to get her back to California where she was built. I had planned to take her on a road trip to visit the factory she rolled out of. However, I found out that factory is now a Tesla factory. 👎

Anyway, I’ll get her safe and reliable to drive again. Then, I’ll get her back to the rust free beauty I have always known.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got a '66 Sport Sedan also. Lots of fun, been driving it quite a bit. Shares many parts with all the other body styles, but I think quarter panels and some window trim, those sorts of things can be hard to find as they're likely specific to the 4door hard top.

Did you say where your car was built ? Mine was Fremont CA. Seems to have stayed in CA since it was built. And, not on the coast, so that's helped in the rust category.

- Greg

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a '66 Sport Sedan also. Lots of fun, been driving it quite a bit. Shares many parts with all the other body styles, but I think quarter panels and some window trim, those sorts of things can be hard to find as they're likely specific to the 4door hard top.

Did you say where your car was built ? Mine was Fremont CA. Seems to have stayed in CA since it was built. And, not on the coast, so that's helped in the rust category.

- Greg

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
From I’ve seen and heard from others is that the 4-door hardtop, from the front fenders back shares nothing with other body styles. It doesn’t even share much with the 4-door post-style. Reproduction replacement panels for the doors, rear quarters, and roof are non-existent. I haven’t found any repros for the rear window trim, drip rail trim, or door glass. Even the rear window glass seems to be unique to the 4-door hardtop.

From the dash forward, I can find everything, from there back has been a crap-shoot.

Daunting is an understatement for this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts