Team Chevelle banner

69 COPO El Camino

8K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  71350SS 
#1 ·
New here
Earlier there was a rumor that there was one COPO 427 El Camino made in 69.
Now on Yenko.net they start talking of that there was 10 Yenko COPO 427 El Caminos in 69.
Have you guys heard anything about that?
How many COPO 427 Elkys have been found?

#3 ·
Would be very interested in a COPO EC.........

However, as an EC guy, I have never heard of one at any time. Have owned, rebuilt and sold EC for over 30 years. If such a thing existed I feel pretty sure that I would have heard of one.

While I would be hopeful that such an animal exists, I fear this may be urban legend.......

#5 ·
Its looks like I have one
Sold new at H&H Chevrolet Omaha NE
Old racecar Have H&H Chevrolet written on the side of it. Have 425 427 written on the front fenders and on the front upper valance.
Did clean the firewall and there was written 427 and M22 there
Front disc brake. power steering. single 3/8 fuel line. Malibu Trim

#10 · (Edited)
I hope you can find a paper trail because with the engine & trans gone you're going to have a helluva time proving it's a copo.Even though I'm an ElCo fan and would love to see a 69 ElCamino copo found as it sits now it doesn't look like you have found one.
It would be too easy for a dealership that is sponsoring a race team to provide them with a new El Camino and then swap a 427/425hp into that car for them.Then send that race team on their way.
On the other hand it is an El Camino Custom model, which is required no matter what year it is to get the SuperSport option (in 1969) on an EC.Trim tag says dark blue bench seat,is it still with the car ? Is the interior intact or is it gone ?

Reactions: 427L88
#12 ·
If that's the original seat and interior have a good look around for a build sheet that's your only hope of getting some paperwork.One thing,if you find it don't just pull on it expecting it to come out like a new piece of paper would.You'll need to be careful and remove anything you find really carefully.You would be better off pulling the seat out and then looking inside of it.Then under the carpet and the dashboard too.If the plastic storage container is still in the back wall behind the seat you can remove that and have a look in there too.Those guys stuck buildsheet's anywhere and everywhere.

Reactions: Capt Casey
#22 · (Edited)
Sure sign of bullshit I would think. Nonetheless, build it back to those 427/425 spec's and have fun with it. The bullshit only matters if you're stretching for value anyhow.

DIS-information Age means folks think opinions are somehow fact anymore. Never were , never will be. Its been bad in this hobby before fakebook weaponized it.

Reactions: 71350SS
#14 ·
Is it possible someone did that to add value to the car without actually having to really add something ? People slapped SS emblems on cars for years before people found out how to decode Chevelle & EC's.I wish you good luck but you do know you're facing an uphill battle,right ?
One thing you can do and it only costs about $50 is to get the shipping doc's from NCRS.If they have the shipping doc's info on your VIN you'll get what dealership it was shipped to and sold from.So even if you think you know or do know where it was sold from the NCRS doc's will back that up then you'll have 2 forms of documents.

That's their link if you want to get in touch with them.

#15 ·
I am certainly no expert here but the one thing that stands out to me that this was not an original 4 speed car is the brake pedal. To my knowledge only automatics came with the wide disc brake pedal. That would lead me to believe that it was not born with an m22 but was something installed later.

Reactions: Capt Casey
#16 ·
I too am a bit skeptical and agree with what has already been posted.

Definitely an automatic based on the brake pedal. It would be interesting to see from the bottom of the truck, how the shifter hole was cut into the floor pan, most likely a torch cut/aftermarket mod. I don't believe that the seat is stock either. I just know that the construction of the cover is nothing close to my stock Strato Buckets.

FWIW, the only build sheet that I have found on my ELCO was on top of the gas tank.

As previously stated, I too would like to find a COPO ELCO, just don't believe any such animal ever existed.

#18 ·
It is a 4 speed Car. They run it later with automatic and smallblock.
NCRS Shipping Report H&H Chevrolet Omaha NE
Its a COPO 427 El Camino.
Im not new to this hobby.
I got one COPO 9561 Camaro RS. One COPO 9561 COPO 9737 Camaro. One L78 L89 Camaro. all are 4 Speed M22

#20 · (Edited)
So a few things that occured to me after reading this thread.
1. With the original drivetrain gone. Where is the proof this vehicle ever had a 427/M22 combo in it, I mean at any point, not just originally.
2. So if this vehicle was originally a manual trans car and was switched to an automatic, why bother to switch the brake pedal?
3. Ive never owned a COPO and I may be wrong but I never recall it being common practice to write the engine displacement and trans type on the fenders and firewall.
4. The brake pedal appears to have had the round "disc brake" emblem which makes it more likely to be original equipment.

#21 ·
Im not going to try to convince you that its a COPO El Camino 4 Speed.
You can believe what you want.
They wrote all options on Firewall on Cars on Assembly Line.
Example on COPOs, S SYC, SPC SYC, 427 425 Special Ordered 427.
There are COPO 427 EL Caminos out there

#24 · (Edited)
Well SYC are Yenko Super Cars. They didnt leave the factory with 427s. They were converted at the Yenko dealership in Cannonsburg Pennsylvania. So how could those cars have left the factory with supercar information written on them. As far as that goes not only did those cars leave the factory with 396 engines installed the factory workers had no idea which of those cars heading to the Yenko dealership were going to be converted and which would be sold to the end user with the 396.
Well ill say this. As a long time member of this site I have seen quite a few of these threads. The common denominator is the person making the "427" or " supercar" claim has absolutely no proof of their claim. Every one of them leaves in a huff making more claims that the members of this site dont know what we are talking about and they know what they have is the real thing. Dont know if they are just butt hurt when they are told they are wrong or they really believe their claims. Not a single one has ever returned here with a shread of evidence to support their claim.
Oh and by the way. I have a documented 69 Chevelle SS and not a single option was written on the firewall. Guess that only applies to supercars instead of just run of the mill Super Sports.

#25 · (Edited)
Nikke,
You have been busy. I see you tried to sell this same story on the Yenko site. Seems as though they did not buy it either.
This Kansas built Elco not only doesnt have the "COPO" unique information on the trim tag it doesnt have the widely believed "L" on the trim tag. Looks like its a regular Elco and not even a Super Sport.

Just in case vin number 136809K451009 resurfaces in the future as a rebadged supercar.

#26 ·
Went back and read almost the whole Yenko link and they link this back to this 2010 Team Chevelle post.
Whether they are talking about the same car IDK but you'll have to read it yourself and make your own decisions

#27 ·
Ok i just read that entire 2010 thread. I believe the OP of this thread was saying the car in the 2010 thread may be his car. Well in the 2010 thread the Elco is said to be painted lemans blue but the tag says Turquiose also said to have TWO foot pedals even though the car had an auto trans. The OPs car in this thread had a paint code 53 (glacier blue) and his elco was an automatic ONE pedal.
I think we have waisted enough breath on Nikke. His story isnt even close. But I want to make a couple points. I live and grew up in suburban Pittsburgh. Yenko Chevrolet was about 15 miles from where I grew up. There is a guy that comes to a certain car cruise that I go to that my buddy told me was a mechanic at Yenko during the supercar years.
Next time I see him ill ask about the alleged Yenko Elcos. After all if one cant believe someone that was there who can you believe?
Which brings me to a related point. Some people on this site can back me up. Many people have been the the NOCC show and have heard a Chevelle owner from Maryland put on a seminar. His name is Richard Doyle. Richard worked in the Baltimore assembly plant for 31 years beginning in 1966 IIRC. He speaks in detail about how things were at that plant. His will answer any questions and dispells the rumors about cars built with this and that and things that slipped out of the plant. By and large says it didnt happen. He seems to be a straight shooter and has great recall of the events at that plant. I believe every word he says and just laugh when I here people say it came from the factory that way. Again he was there and lived it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.