Team Chevelle banner

69 Factory Kick Panel Speaker Template?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Gary 396 
#1 ·
:cool: I decided my aftermarket stereo dash speakers are trash and I'm looking at installing factory-style 4x6 speakers with the small factory-style covers in the Kick Panels. I want the install to look factory.

Does anyone have a template for this install. A diagram/ Measurements?

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Bruce I don't think Chevy ever had factory speakers available for mounting in the kick panel so maybe that's why it looks so trashy to you ?
I think the kick panels had a vent in them but my memory from the early 80's could be mixed up with my 71 ElCamino too.
That is something I think would work to hide the speakers behind the vented kick panel but eliminate the vent behind it in favor of a speaker.That would look factory plus give you room for a large speaker.

#5 ·
:cool: Several model years did have the Kick Panel Speakers (including 1969 model year), they were installed with the optional U57 8 track players.

I don't get your assumption that I think they "look so trashy?"

I just want a factory look, and I want to keep my kick panel vent (not to mention a functional emergency brake).

The thumbnail I posted is a photo of the factory install (albeit on an A/C car)...

#7 ·
I do have a photo of a 1967 Chevelle Red Kick Panel 4" x 6" Speaker Hole Cut Out that you can adapt / cut out to your 1969 Plastic Kick Panels. (See attached 1st and 2nd Photo of Chevelle 1966-67 Kick panels and Photos 3 thru 5 are from 1969 Chevelle Kick Panels which include 1969 Non AC and 1969 AC Kick Panels. You will need to remove your left and right kick panels to locate the cavity space within the metal part of the body structure where that the magnetic rear part of the speaker can be located in. You will need to purchase a set of 4" x 6" speaker grilles from one of the 2 sources which are: https://www.musclecarcentral.com/Kick-Panel-Speaker-Grilles-68-69-Nova-and-65-69-C-p/das-97.htm Kick Panel Speaker Grilles, 68-69 Nova and 65-69 Chevelle, O.E. Style – Pair # DAS 97. These are Correct O.E. Style reproduction Grilles that are bare steel and molded to fit the contour of your kick panels. Sold as a pair, each grille measures 4 ¼” X 6 ¼”. Fits 1968-1969 Nova and 1965-1969 Chevelle. PART NUMBER: DAS-97 OR https://gmclassics.com/shop/radio-related-items/kick-panel-speaker-grill-4-14-x-6-14-oem-style/ #95027 4 ¼” X 6 ¼”. Keep in mind that the 4" x 6" speaker grilles are not all the same. Some speaker grilles are actually larger and measure 5" x 7". Please Do not buy these larger speaker grilles. As to the 4" x 6" speakers, you can purchase them from Turnswitch Classic Car Speakers. The Turn Switch 4" x 6" Speakers have compact rear magnets that can be used with older style factory radios and or adapted to the newer radios by calling Turnswitch for wiring information. One possible problem to look for is the left side parking brake assembly when retracted can come in contact with the 4" x 6" speaker grilles and damage them. You might be able to slightly bend the parking brake lever for extra speaker grille clearance. Also Turnswitch does make newer compact speakers for Chevelles where the stereo speakers are located at the two top parts of the dash for 1969 thru 1972 Chevelles.

Attachments

#8 ·
I have attached hereto 4 Photos of the 4" X 6" Chevelle Kick Panel Speakers. The First Photo shows the original 1969 Chevelle Blue Light Stereo Kick Panel Speakers. The second and third Photos are 4 "x 6" TurnSwitch / S & M / Electro Tech redesigned 1966 - 1972 Chevelle Kick Panel Speakers with their shallow magnets. According to Turnswitch / S & M /Electro Tech, their speaker magnets have twice the field strength of ceramic magnets plus has 4 times the strength of the original alnico magnets as used on the original Delco speakers. Further, all original GM Vintage Chevelle Speakers are designed for use with 8 to 10 ohm original speakers. Turnswitch says that most modern aftermarket speakers are designed as 4 ohm speaker replacements that will draw twice the current of an original 8 ohm GM speaker which causes the Radio amplifier transistor heat sink on the back of a Delco radio to run very hot and cause failure. The fourth Photo of Speakers are Upper Dual Dash Speakers Turnswitch / S & M / Electro Tech replacements for Chevelles that originally came with the AM FM Stereo Radio from the factory. This might be an option that Nickey Chevelle should consider to replace his bad sounding dash speakers.

Attachments

#9 ·
...Further, all original GM Vintage Chevelle Speakers are designed for use with 8 to 10 ohm original speakers...
I think you meant "Further, all original GM Vintage Chevelle Radios are designed for use with 8 to 10 ohm original speakers"

Reactions: blue_69_malibu
#11 ·
Hey Bruce: What brand center speaker(s) did you use? Kenwood...or the cheap/generic brand?

I've found that even when the center speakers work well and sound good, opening the windows makes them almost useless. I'm not sure if that upgrade was worth the time and effort in the long run

I have newer Infinity 6x9s in the back which sound great. The front speaker is almost just for accent sound, if that makes any sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.