Garage
Vehicle Name Chevelle
Year 1968
Make Chevrolet
Model SS396
Color TBD
1968 Chevrolet SS396
1968 Chevrolet SS396 1968 Chevrolet SS396 1968 Chevrolet SS396
History I don't have a lot of history with this car. I bought it for $1,500.00 from my old boss. He thought it was a numbers matching car but when he found out the engine #s didn't match, he didn't want it anymore.

I would classify it as a "barn find". The car was all in primer and in some stage of restoration; although it probably sat for some time. Floor rusted with a couple holes, engine and trans out. Really should have just parted it out, but it is a real 138 vin code and I've always wanted a chevelle. If I didn't already have a engine and trans I would not have gotten it.

It will be re-born with a 445 casting 454, bored and stroked to 496, 4 bolt mains, smallish solid roller, bushing lifters, Vic Jr, 950 Pro Systems, 10:1 pump gas motor.

I have it stripped down and once done with the metal work, I'll separated the body/frame and have the frame blasted and painted and the shell will go to my body man.

One interesting thing came up when I sold the 396 that came with it. The engine was a 68' 325 hp from all we could figure. It had a fresh bore on it, cam/lifters greased and all ready to fire....except it must have sat for many years like that. Some minor water rust/stains on bore but the bearing shells cast some light on it. They were stamped as being made in 1972. Not sure it sat that long, but it's definitely possible as someone started working on it, and all work stopped for whatever reason and sat that way until my boss got it.
Exterior
1968 Chevrolet SS396 Exterior 1968 Chevrolet SS396 Exterior 1968 Chevrolet SS396 Exterior
the car ended up Black !

Quick Performance 9"
370 gears Detroit locker 35 spline axles

VFN 4" cowl fiberglass hood

Interior
1968 Chevrolet SS396 Interior
I have a stock interior kit

I'll put more interior picks up soon

In-Car Entertainment
the engine ! too loud to hear a stereo !

Under the Hood
1968 Chevrolet SS396 Under the Hood 1968 Chevrolet SS396 Under the Hood 1968 Chevrolet SS396 Under the Hood
496 Stroker pump gas deal
664 hp before installation of windage tray. Take a look at the second picture, I paid a shop (Line Performance in Wright, MN), good money to initially build the engine and then later install the tray and rear main baffle. Instead of fitting it properly, it looks as though someone took sheetmetal shears to it ! I will be fixing this, parts ordered !
They made a lot of mistakes! Glad I had the chance to find all of them. Beware of Line Performance ! Told owner and shop foreman of windage tray/baffle problems and they never returned calls or texts ! I have fixed these problems and hope the machine work was done correctly ! We shall see. As a side note, they did buy me a new exhaust push rod after I found one not adjusted properly(1/8" loose) It's tip got hammered from being run/dyno'd like that. So they did stand by the push rod, but after that no returned calls or messages. Maybe I just didn't spend enough money there ???

Th400, built HD sprag, new friction disks, reverse pattern manual valve body.

Suspension
Will be putting on front disk kit
Rear will be a ford 9" set up for an A body with the appropriate "launch" items

Wheel and Tire
1968 Chevrolet SS396 Wheel and Tire
15" front rear corvette style rims
Views: 219

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome