Senior Tech Team

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Vehicle Name COOL
Year 1969
Make Chevrolet
Model Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute
Color Iridesent Dusk Blue
Packages ZZ454 Crate Motor w/ ZZ502 Cam, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,400 stall converter, 12 Bolt Rear 3.73:1
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute
History COOL was bought new from Parkland Chevrolet in Asheville, North Carolina. COOL was 1 of only 798 Chevelles with the "955DE" Two Tone Paint Option: She came from the Baltimore Final Assembly Plant with a Glacier Blue body (Color Code 53) with a Dusk Blue painted roof (Color Code 51), full disc Wheel Covers, and White Wall Tires -- I'd love to have a photo of her when new. The interior was dark blue bench seat. Motivation was provided by a 307, a Powerglide transmission, and a 10 bolt rear. COOL spent most of her working life within 20 miles of Asheville. The Wife and I picked COOL up in Johnson City, Tennessee and drove her home to Minnesota. That was a great road trip -- there were so many other motorists yelling "Hey, that's a cool car." That's how Cool got her name.
Exterior
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Exterior 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Exterior 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Exterior
No real body modifications, just lots of new AMD sheetmetal. I had the Malibu Lower Chrome Moldings and "Malibu" emblems shaved, and I relocated the radio antenna to the factory correct location on the right quarter panel. COOL is a tribute to the Central Office Production Order Chevelles. COOL represents a COPO prepped by the Nickey Chevrolet Dealership in Chicago, Illinois.

Interior
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Interior 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Interior
I switched COOL's blue bench seat interior to Black Bucket Seats with a Console and a Hurst Dual Gate Shifter. When I upgraded to the 700R4 I bought a brand new Dual Gate for it. The Dual Gate broke shortly after installation. I then installed a Shiftworks-modified "Slap" or "Ratchet" Shifter from a 1969 GTO (including the GTO Console). If the Hurst was built like a Jeep, the Pontiac Shifter is built like a Sherman Tank! Both bucket seats have seat track extenders that give an extra (and very welcome) 2 inches of leg room. Engine vitals are monitored by a Reproduction Stewart Warner Green Line Oil Pressure gauge, a Reproduction Stewart Warner Water Temperature gauge, and an antique "Big Daddy Don Garlits 'Signature Edition'" DixCo Tach.

In-Car Entertainment
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute In-Car Entertainment
Mike Hagan Antique Auto Radio. Modern AM/FM Stereo Radio in an original look.

Under the Hood
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Under the Hood 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Under the Hood
When I first got COOL she had a nice little 350 CID engine that got decent gas mileage. I installed a GMPP 454 HO Crate Engine (which is dressed to resemble an L-72), a TH400, and a 12 posi in 3.73:1.

Last year (2017) I installed a 700R4 overdrive Transmission.

More recently (2018) I upgraded the HO with a ZZ502 cam, Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (painted Chevy Orange for the stealth effect), Hedman headers, 2.5 inch exhaust pipes with an "X" crossover. I originally had a pair of Flowmaster 40s, but The Wife hated them (they were pretty obnoxious). I now have a pair of Flowmaster 70 Mufflers, and a pair of "Cherry Bomb" mufflers mounted as resonators -- The Wife still thinks COOL is too loud.

Suspension
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Suspension 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Suspension 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Suspension
COOL's suspension is raised by roughly one inch to appear "Day 2" period correct.

The Front End has a UMI 1.25 inch diameter "solid" front sway bar. Moroso "Trick" Springs. Ball Joint Spacers, and 90/10 Drag Shocks (with extensions).

I recently (2018) installed a Lee Quick Ratio Power Steering Gear Box. An extremely nice box that was a drop-in. A great upgrade from the stock box.

The Rear End has a UMI 1 inch diameter "solid" swar bar, Moroso "Trick" rear Springs, 50/50 shocks (also with extensions), Southside Machine Performance (SSM) adjustable rear upper Control Arms, and the SSM lower "lift" Control Arms. I modified the LCAs with UMI's Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets. The UMI Brackets are a HUGE improvement over the original SSM brackets and if I were to do it over I'd simply buy the UMI "Lift" LCAs.

COOL has an antique Mr. Gasket "ET" Aluminum 12 bolt pumpkin cover which has got to be worth at least a tenth of a second in the Quarter Mile.

Wheel and Tire
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu COPO Tribute Wheel and Tire
Front: 15x7 inch Cragar SS Mags with B.F. Goodrich P235/60-15 tires.

Rear: 15x8 inch Cragar SS Mags with B.F. Goodrich P275/60-15 tires.
Views: 1124

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome